Short cage rear mech

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
Sort of feeling please with myself..
Changed to a compact a week or so back and sort of getting to live with it.
Felt in need of more tinkering so changed to a short cage Tiagra rear derailleur from a long cage XT.
Very easy to fit.. not so easy to get adjusted.
Have had to take 2 links out of chain to get the pulley angle correct as per the Shimano spec sheet.
i.e pulleys vertical in largest gearing.

I have yet to properly road test but it shifts up and down smoothly.
My only worry is that on the smallest cog (11) in big cr, it was skipping despite all fiddling with hi limiter and cable tensioners when I did a quick ride up and down the lane.

Now with the correct amount of links in chain, I am hoping that is not going to be an issue when I test tomorrow.
Cosmetically it looks 100 % better and then some more.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The mech could be sitting a little close to the sprockets - there is an adjuster that presses against the rear drop out and moves the jockey wheels away from the sprockets.

OP
OP
I am Spartacus

I am Spartacus

Über Member
It was still jumping on the 11 sprocket this AM when on the road
dscn0477m.jpg

dscn0478hv.jpg

Have reset the hi limiter again and reset the cable tension again.

Changing up and down on the stand .. no issues.. sounds as smooth as silk..

if anyone can see anything untoward...

OP
OP
I am Spartacus

I am Spartacus

Über Member
Cassette is more or less brand new.. chain is fine, tho will dbl check.. according to my little black book 24 links should be 12 inches.. (no I am not purchasing a chain checker- spent enough)

OP
OP
I am Spartacus

I am Spartacus

Über Member
Chain length is fine... went out for road test after the reset... it did it once when grinding the gear... grrrrrr once is one time too many

I have to own up the cassette that I have is slightly , repeat slightly over capacity for the rd-4500 but surely it isnt the culprit....
my only option will be to purchase a 11 -23 cassette which is good enough for my local bad ass hills with a compact

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
If it's jumping on the small sprocket then it's nothing to do with capacity. If the cassette is newer than the chain that could be it. Or you might have a tight link in the chain, or the limit screw or cable length isn't allowing full movement out (limit screw adjustment won't work if the cable is already tight ).

Matthames

Über Member
Have you checked the alignment of the hanger? I don't know if it is the angle of the picture, but the rear mech seems out of alignment to me. Only by a fraction mind. If that is the problem getting it fixed will depend on what material your frame is made from.

OP
OP
I am Spartacus

I am Spartacus

Über Member
I think it is more a camera 'trick' than anything (rear mech brand new), but will check again tho'
It has now had a few miles and altho I have rarely been in the 11 sprocket, it has behaved itself since.

OP
OP
I am Spartacus

I am Spartacus

Über Member
Update:
I forgot completely to fill in the details of the 'fix' very amiss of me!

After fitting the short cage rear, had to take some links out of chain.
Initially joined chain with the Connex link.
This was the culprit that made the chain jump on the 11.
Swapped over to SRAM powerlink and presto no more jumping.
The Connex link is good but it is a little on the chunky side in comparision to the powerlink.

To prove it once and for all.. just done an unofficial 10mile TT course and did the last 5 in the 11.. so it had some serious stick.

Top Bottom