Short, easy routes around Redhill

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sprocket Dog

My friend would like to complete the L2B this year, but she's not been on a bicycle in 25 years and has only just given up smoking too. We've agreed to go on a short, easyish route this coming Sunday. I'm thinking about 5 to 10 miles at the most and with as few hills as possible as there's no point knocking her steam on her first outing - difficult considering we're starting in Redhill.If possible, I'd like the route to have a cafe/coffee shop to stop at and at least break the ride up.Any suggestions will be gratefully received.Thanks.:tongue:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
If you want to go there don't start from here. Can you get out of Redhill without a climb? My recollection is that you can't but I've not tried every escape route.

Of the top of my head how about the back roads, i.e. Lonesome Lane, to Horley and back? Nice cafe in the Waitrose there with lots of bike parking and you can keep an eye on the bikes too. You'll see some teddy bears along the way too iirc

and kudos to your friend for wanting a crack at the L2B

OP
OP
S

Sprocket Dog

GregCollins said:
Can you get out of Redhill without a climb? My recollection is that you can't but I've not tried every escape route.Of the top of my head how about the back roads, i.e. Lonesome Lane, to Horley and back? Nice cafe in the Waitrose there with lots of bike parking and you can keep an eye on the bikes too. You'll see some teddy bears along the way too iirc
A pootle out towards Waitrose sounds good. We can easily drive to any start point (within reason, obviously). The main thing is avoiding the bigger hills as they'll just be too off putting at this early stage.
GregCollins said:
and kudos to your friend for wanting a crack at the L2B
Indeed, I'm very proud of her for even seriously considering the challenge. Privately she's quite enthusiastic though is worried that she might fail at it.:tongue:

siadwell

Guru
If you could start from Reigate, there's some nice country to the south-west.

Head out of town along the A25 towards Dorking, then turn left onto Flanchford Road across Reigate Heath. If you're driving, you can park up on the heath. There's a pub on the corner, or another down a small road off the heath.

If you keep heading along that road, you come out in Leigh, which has a pub or two. Otherwise, if you turn right after the heath you go past the deer park and River Mole into Betchworth, where there's a pub. You can then go back towards Buckland (passing another pub), from where the A25 leads back to Reigate.

Not too much traffic, and not too lumpy. Oh, and most of the pubs serve food too.

Of course, not on the L2B route, but a lot nicer.

OP
OP
S

Sprocket Dog

siadwell said:
If you could start from Reigate, there's some nice country to the south-west. Head out of town along the A25 towards Dorking, then turn left onto Flanchford Road across Reigate Heath. If you're driving, you can park up on the heath. There's a pub on the corner, or another down a small road off the heath. If you keep heading along that road, you come out in Leigh, which has a pub or two. Otherwise, if you turn right after the heath you go past the deer park and River Mole into Betchworth, where there's a pub. You can then go back towards Buckland (passing another pub), from where the A25 leads back to Reigate.Not too much traffic, and not too lumpy. Oh, and most of the pubs serve food too.Of course, not on the L2B route, but a lot nicer.
Thanks for the suggestion. Hadn't given much thought to Reigate as I'm less familiar with the area than Redhill (which is still unknown to me). :sad:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Sprocket Dog said:
A pootle out towards Waitrose sounds good. We can easily drive to any start point (within reason, obviously). The main thing is avoiding the bigger hills as they'll just be too off putting at this early stage.Indeed, I'm very proud of her for even seriously considering the challenge. Privately she's quite enthusiastic though is worried that she might fail at it.:smile:

Someone I work with did it last year. Got a bike for the first time in 12 years a week before the big day. She finished because she is that kind of determined person. Enjoy her day out? She did not. But she rides her bike a lot more now.xx(

Top Bottom