Short reach, low drop handlebars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sterba

Über Member
I need some drop bars with a 26mm centre diameter which drop no more than 125mm and have a forward reach of no more than 75mm, width 420mm, pref silver, pref with grooves for Campag brakes and gears. Sorry if you have already seen this request in another forum, but I have re-posted it here in the hope of attracting more replies.

OP
OP
Sterba

Sterba

Über Member
What, no suggestions? Come on ladies and gents, please.

OP
OP
Sterba

Sterba

Über Member
These are the max sizes I would feel comfortable with. I normally ride flat bars with a steeply rising Kalloy quill stem. But I wanted to see whether drops would make any difference. I fitted a Nitto Tallux quill stem with a straight ahead 7cm extension, and a pair of bog standard drop bars from Condor, they would have been called Maes when I was a boy. They turn out to be just a bit too far forward and a bit too far down (this is all relative, my riding position is practically upright by today's standards). So the bars I am looking for would take 5 to 10 cm off in both directions. Also, 42 mm because my shoulder blades are only a few inches apart, and 26mm central diameter because that's what the lovely Tallux provides for. Crackers I know, but that's what Cyclechat is for, isn't it?

OP
OP
Sterba

Sterba

Über Member
The stem already exists on the bike, and it cost a lot. Take a look at Rivendell Cycle Works, then at Nitto Tallux. Now I need the bars to complement it.

jack smith

Veteran
You'll really struggle to find what you need even if that setup does exist, don't they build their own stuff from what I can see? Is it not worth asking them to build some bars up for you?

AndyRM

XOXO
A compact drop on a classic diameter is a difficult beast to find.

However, http://www.awcycles.co.uk/bontrager-race-26-0.html

You could sand them down to silver, but I'm not sure what you'd do for cable grooves. Probably have to get a bit creative with your tape.

young Ed

Veteran
a rather expensive solution is to find/google a local engineering firm or two and they could well bend a set custom it wouldn't be too hard for them to add a cable groove i expect
Cheers Ed

OP
OP
Sterba

Sterba

Über Member
Thanks everyone, I am looking at the suggested bars. I don't fancy something hand-made or non standard. I have a few months before I must make a purchase (Summer bike), so I am not in a rush. If anything occures to you in the meantime, please let me know

young Ed

Veteran
Thanks everyone, I am looking at the suggested bars. I don't fancy something hand-made or non standard. I have a few months before I must make a purchase (Summer bike), so I am not in a rush. If anything occures to you in the meantime, please let me know
if you can find a store near you that stocks the mentioned bars or similar ones then if you ask then kindly and give them a deposit they might let you clamp the bars in a bike and maybe even go for a little spin round the block with them
one of my LBS do this with saddles
Cheers Ed

BSRU

A Human Being
Have you tried EBay, when I needed 26mm compact bars, a couple of years ago, the only place I could find them was EBay.

Top Bottom