Shortening stem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colinr

If I go from a 110mm to an 80/90mm should it be ok, or is it likely to make my steering crazy?

tyred

Legendary Member
I'd expect you'd notice some difference to begin with but you'll quickly get used to it and not notice it anymore.

GilesM

Legendary Member
It may make a small differance to start with, but as tyred mentions, you'll soon get used to it. If you use it on an mtb that you use for steep climbs, you may find the front wheel lifts a little more, but for steep descents your weight will be further back which will help.

OP
OP
colinr

colinr

Thanks. It's on a road bike, I just want to sit a bit more upright without rotating the handlebars (messes up my positioning on the drops).

yenrod

colinr said:
Thanks. It's on a road bike, I just want to sit a bit more upright without rotating the handlebars (messes up my positioning on the drops).

What your better doing Colin is getting a longer variant THEN putting it up !

AlanW

Guru
yenrod said:
What your better doing Colin is getting a longer variant THEN putting it up !

Agreed.

As well as making the steering that much more responsive, which if you intend to reduce the length by 30mm or so, that's a big reduction not to have an adverse effect?

Why not keep the stem the same length and add spacers underneath it, or flip it over MTB style?

IMHO reducing the stem length to get more upright is not the correct way to adjust your riding position. The length of the stem is determined by process of other measurements, seat position for and aft, top tube length and arm length etc.

I bought a frame a few years ago that had a top tube longer than I would usually ride. In truth I didn't realise until I had finished building it up with my usual length stem, 11cm.

So I did the same and reduced the stem down to a 90cm one, terrible consequences with regards to the steering and the way that it handled in general, it was just to twitchy. :becool:

I tried to get along with it, but it was no good, it had to go. Bought another frame with a smaller size top tube and reverted back to my 11cm stem...perfect!

OP
OP
colinr

colinr

Perhaps 'upright' wasn't the right way to put it. When I want to rest a bit, I tend to ride on the sides of the bars, short of the hoods. So I want to keep the same ride position but bring the bars a bit closer so I'm on the hoods instead (as this is obviously how my body wants to sit).

I tried rotating the bars up, but it messes up my drop position. Moving the seat forwards messed with my pedalling. So I'll risk some twitchy steering. Though apparently my bike handles like a tank compared to other road bikes so maybe it'll be an improvement :becool:

normgow

Guru
Have you tried moving the brake levers/shifters up the bars so that your hands rest on the rubber hoods in the position you describe as being comfortable?
This way you retain the same position on the drops plus probably making braking easier whilst riding on the hoods.

Personally in winter I want to take corners as smoothly and gradually as poss - i'd look to the other possibilities outlined above.

OP
OP
colinr

colinr

Have you tried moving the brake levers/shifters up the bars so that your hands rest on the rubber hoods in the position you describe as being comfortable?

That would mean redoing bar tape, which is far more complexity than my limited knowledge can handle!

I'm going to try a shorter stem, if I don't like it I'll have to adjust other things. And if I ever get another compact frame, I'm going for Small!

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Have you tried flipping the stem over?Did this on my bike ,it raises the bars up a bit which effectively reduces your reach,I was dubious at first but it works and doesnt cost anything.

OP
OP
colinr

colinr

The stem was already in the 'raised' position, I've put the new shorter one on. Steering feels fine and with a bit of rotation it's an improvement on the reach so all good.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
sHORTER sTEM

I am thinking of doing the same so glad to hear it worked for you.Can you tell me what dimensions and angles your old and new stem are.I am considering going from 110 to 80 and possibly a bit more rise angle.

I was very lucky that the LBS changed my bike for a larger frame size as I couldnt get used to the big drop from seat to bar height.Its now much more comfortable but I think a shorter stem would make it perfect.Apparently I am a long legged short torso person who doesnt fit easilly to the standard bike sizes.

Top Bottom