Should I get an external mic?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Please review some of my videos on www.youtube.com/monkeysnutscom and tell me if it is worth me getting an external mic.
The reason for doing this is that I have found that when I am riding allong anything but smooth roads, the sound quality goes down dramatically. At least if I had a microphone, it would be constant.
If they are expensive (over £20) then I am not getting one as I can put up with the sound from my camera.

That's quite good compared to the ATC5K mic Matt, mine's so bad when I've used mine I've dubbed it out using music instead I don't think I'd go to any expense if I was you ;-)

HovR

Über Member
Instead of spending the money on an external mic, I'd recommend spending it on a helmet mount instead. This will cut down on vibration noise sent straight through the bike mount to the camera, and is also generally better as you can film what you want to film, instead of where you bars are pointing.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A lot of the time the noise isn't due to vibration but to wind noise. You'll notice that when camera crews are filming outdoors they usually have 'dead cat' wind covers on their microphones. Take a look at this DIY wind cover ...

Top Bottom