Show us the gory details

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sam Kennedy

I've seen those THINK ads, they aren't really shocking enough. They should get some of the producers from SAW to make some safety adverts, that will get everyone in their place :evil:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I was talking to a young teenager today, and he seemed to think he was totally safe when sat in a car, but as far as I know his Dad is a police officer so you would think he would have had some influence over him as to how safe cars are.

Chrisz

Über Member
One of the subjects I teach (as part of the tutorial package) is alcohol awareness. The students find pictures of various drunk celebs, half naked drunk teens etc. all rather amusing. One set of pics that always gets them paying attention more though is of a group of teens who had a head-on with a truck whilst driving a Corsa.

The series of pics shows the roof cut off the car and the mess inside, then of firemen dragging out body parts - some of which are still identifiable). The crash occurred due to a drunk/drugged driver.

It certainly makes them more 'aware' !

Arch

Married to Night Train
Forget making stuff up, show the real stuff.

I suppose you have to take account of family feeling, but I suspect you might find at least one or two families a year prepared to let it happen in order to protect others.

Think about how people reacted to 9/11. The same people who probably sat happily through Independence Day and other apocalyptic movies. Suddenly, they knew those were real people being vaporised, and not just real people, but real people from their own country, not some anonymous foreigners.

I saw an older girl who'd been knocked down, outside a secondary school, when I was about 7 or 8 I think - it had happened moments before, so the ambulance hadn't even arrived. I can picture the whole scene now, girl in the road, people crowding round, the fact that she was wearing nylon tights and they had blood on them, and my Mum, gently shepherding me away, but saying "She just didn't look before she ran out". I'm possibly the only 40 year old who still follows the Green Cross Code to this day.

Tony

I remember some years ago when a copper was on the way back to the station with some "joy" riders,and heard there had been a fatal.
He diverted by way of the death crash site to show the little toe-rags what happens when it all goes wrong, and what could just as easily have been themselves.
He was disciplined.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Tony said:
I remember some years ago when a copper was on the way back to the station with some "joy" riders,and heard there had been a fatal.
He diverted by way of the death crash site to show the little toe-rags what happens when it all goes wrong, and what could just as easily have been themselves.
He was disciplined.

Common sense coppering, having the rug pulled from under it.

In the Sixth Form at school, just as we were getting into motorbikes and cars, we were shown an American (I think it was) film which had footage from actual crashes in full gory detail.

It made a huge impression on us at the time, although I think a few quickly got over it. But the memories still sit with me, even after 25 years. Not in a PTSD waking up in a cold sweat kind of way, but in a "I don't want that happening to me or my family" kind of way.

ChrisKH

Guru
Our IT manager in Prague lost his eight year old daughter yesterday. She was hit by a truck as she left school.

As a parent it doesn't bear thinking about.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
In Germany, the police quite often set up displays in shopping-centre car-parks with wrecks from real crashes. I've watched people looking at them, and it's clear they have a very sobering effect.

Arch

Married to Night Train
ChrisKH said:
Our IT manager in Prague lost his eight year old daughter yesterday. She was hit by a truck as she left school.

As a parent it doesn't bear thinking about.

Even as an auntie...;)

We had a film shown to us at school, a dramatisation, of some boys mucking about on a rail track, and one caught his laces and tripped, with a train coming, and although they obviously didn't show it, it was clear he'd get his foot cut off. The next shot was his Mum lifting him out of a chair, and the camera panned down and cut away just before it reached the missing foot, and pretty much the whole class flinched when they thought they might see it (or the lack of it).

But I wonder if we weren't so immune in those days. The average episode of Casualty is chock full of anticipation and gore.

Top Bottom