Sick Cat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

asterix

Comrade Member
..and where better than a cycling forum?

Have recently been concerned about one of our cats looking too fat-bellied and hungrier than usual. Today the cause became obvious as it vomited up some spaghetti like worms which I think are roundworms.

Have photo if necessary!

I understand it's easily dealt with but would like to hear recommendations from other cat-owners for a good product as there seem to be lots available. He's a very shy cat(not at all aggressive) and very difficult to administer any treatment, therefore. Even using spot-on is a challenge.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Please spare us photos. 

I'd talk to a pharmacist. They get asked this kind of thing all the time and will be able to recommend something. FWIW it can be tricky to get the little buggers to eat tablets. We used to try grinding them up and putting them in their food but they'd simply refuse to eat it. We found in the end the only solution was to insert one into, say, a lump of tuna and get them to swallow the thing whole. Good luck.

BSRU

A Human Being
..and where better than a cycling forum?

Have recently been concerned about one of our cats looking too fat-bellied and hungrier than usual. Today the cause became obvious as it vomited up some spaghetti like worms which I think are roundworms.

Have photo if necessary!

I understand it's easily dealt with but would like to hear recommendations from other cat-owners for a good product as there seem to be lots available. He's a very shy cat(not at all aggressive) and very difficult to administer any treatment, therefore. Even using spot-on is a challenge.

I use Profender spot on for worms, it is non-prescription but you can only buy it from a vet's.

potsy

Rambler
Used to get a tablet from the vets,can't remember what it was called but they used to eat it like a treat
thumbsup.png

Lately have been getting some stuff from the pet shop that you apply to the back of the neck.
Oh and no pics please
biggrin.gif

If the worm infestation is that bad (and it sounds like it is pretty serious) you'd be better off getting treated by a vet, the over the counter stuff won't make much difference at this stage.

Also, if your cat is that hard to get a pill down tell the vet before he/she/you get scratched/bitten! :sad:

buddha

Veteran
The only way I could get me cat to eat a worming tablet is to grind it up and mix with a little bit of marmite (not too much though, of course). I use Dontral BTW.
Best of luck.

OP
OP
asterix

asterix

Comrade Member
Have been to the vet (at least they wanted to see the photo!) and been recommended Profender or Dontral. I went for the spot-on option as being the most certain with this particular cat. They reckon one dose should sort things out.

Cheers

OP
OP
asterix

asterix

Comrade Member
Vet, and pronto. Simples !

Well, that was the best advice. Although the worming treatment got rid of the blighters, the problem was diagnosed as effusive FIP after tests this morning. Fortunately he is not showing any signs of discomfort so we will take him in for treatment for the time being.

Well, that was the best advice. Although the worming treatment got rid of the blighters, the problem was diagnosed as effusive FIP after tests this morning. Fortunately he is not showing any signs of discomfort so we will take him in for treatment for the time being.

About 10 years ago, we adopted an adult cat from some friends - beautiful grey coat and so affectionate; it used to come up to the office at home and sit on my lap 'treading' (painfully for me!) until it settled. And it loved sniffing the sleeves of your jumper too. We thought it had had all its jabs etc but we'd only had it a few weeks when it suddenly went off its food and a trip to the vets diagnosed FIP. Broke my heart, it did.

OP
OP
asterix

asterix

Comrade Member
We are at least his 3rd owner and know little about his early history, other than that he was not cared for, or even how old he is. We only know he is older than 12 years and the vet says he hasn't got long now. He seems happy enough since his treatment with anti-biotics and steroids.

We are at least his 3rd owner and know little about his early history, other than that he was not cared for, or even how old he is. We only know he is older than 12 years and the vet says he hasn't got long now. He seems happy enough since his treatment with anti-biotics and steroids.

We went out and bought a hugely detailed book about feline medicine when we were told about it by the vet. The vet said the cat would have already had the infection when we took it on, which helped a little (knowing there was nothing we could have done by that time), as did reading up on the condition.

Top Bottom