Side Stitch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Marko62

Got one today about 20 min's into my ride. It started after I had gone up a couple of longish hills and then on the next hill I got a rather painful stitch. It was on my right side and lasted for a few minutes, I carried on until It got too painful and walked the rest of the hill but then when I got back on my bike I felt like Samson did after his hair got cut, no strength in my legs!! anyone have any idea what could cause this? It really spoilt my ride..

The only things that were different before this ride is that I had a banana 30 min before my ride plus I didn't feel 100% more like 75%, bit of the sniffles.

puddleglum

I get them from time to time and they really do make things difficult while they last.
The only 'cure' I know of is to get off the bike, press my hand/fist into the affected area while slowly leaning forwards and breathing out.
It usually seems to 'straighten out' the flipping thing.
I doubt eating caused it, but only cos I regularly go out after my tea and it makes no difference as to whether I get one or not.
Next time, give it a go, it might work :smile:

Hont

Guru
Stich is usually when your stomach is pressing on some of your other organs, so usually happens more on a full stomach. Try sitting up and fully deflating your lungs once or twice.

Can't think why this would cause a lack of strength in your legs, unless it was the way you walked up the hill??

OP
OP
M

Marko62

Thanks for the replies guys. I did get a bit of a stitch again last week but sitting up as much as I could and breathing deeply seemed to stop it so hopefully that's the answer ;)

Top Bottom