Sideswiped

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dudi

Just got a glancing sideswipe from a car as it pulled out of a side road...
I say glancing, I mean that he pulled out as i was passing and collided with me, pushing me over into the next lane with his wing mirror...

First time I've ever had a collission with a moving car... quite a scary time!

the guy was very apologetic and insisted that I check my bike over to make sure it was safe before we set off again. probably a fellow cyclist, though didn't want to admit it as he failed to se me!

even though he nearly ran me over. nice chap.

Andy

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Many of the drivers who hit us are apologetic when they hit us. Both times I have been knocked off were. It is a shame that that don't look what they are doing in the first place. Glad to hear that you didn't hit the road though.

Abitrary

What time did it happen?

I find rushhour to be treacherous for this, and more so if it's cold and raining, like, oooh it's cold here in my lovely car, I'll runover that cyclist to make time because he looks toasty warm.

sheddy

Legendary Member
I don't think that there is enough emphasis for learner drivers to 'sweep' the road with their eyes. As we know most cagers just look where they expect vehicles to appear.

OP
OP
dudi

dudi

It wasn't rush hour, and it wasn't even very busy... it was about 6.30pm on a well lit fairly empty stretch of "residential" road.

Sometimes makes me wonder just how well I look for cyclists when I'm driving, I think I check quite carefully, but I guess you dont know until they're there. not that many cyclists round here.

thankfully absolutely no damage to myself or my bike... think i may have nicked the paintowrk on the car though...

Abitrary

I personally have never even once come remotely close to swiping a cyclist, or motorcylist... even when I wasn't interested in cycling.

It really makes me wonder about people's eyesight and / or presence of mind, and think it is quite scary really.

Abitrary

I find a real problem is making eye contact with the driver. If it is quiet, then no problem; the driver construes it as 'you stay right there'.

However, if it is busy junction, and a lot of people are giving way, letting people out, sometimes they construe it as 'go ahead, I'm giving way'.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Rhythm Thief said:
A good tip at a junction is to cover the brakes and maybe even apply them a little, but keep on pedalling, against the brakes if necessary. If you freewheel it looks as if you're slowing down and some drivers misconstrue this as you giving way to them
Glad you're ok Dudi, by the way.

ooh, good tip!

Tynan

Veteran
quiet roads are dangerous roads in my experience, and too many drivers do not think to even consider anything smaller than a car, they simply don;t look for them

and in my accidents people have been polite at best, never that sorry, that might be a natural reaction to me waving my arms around and shouting a lot in fairness

frog

When I started cycling years ago a chap told me the mile at the beginning and end of a journey was the most dangerous time. Either their brain hasn't got into 'I'm driving' mode or they're thinking about what they're going to do once they get to the destination.

Either way it makes urban, residential, areas a very dangerous place. Over they years his bit of knowledge has saved my bacon on a lot of occasions.

Great Tip RT! It's all about perception isn't it.

pompey

Good point about eye contact - I agree that making contact can often be wrongly interpreted. I tend to cover the brakes and keep an eye on the front wheel of the car, which is the easiest way to tell if a car is inching forward.

Tynan

Veteran
indeed frog, excellent point, I make a point of raising my game when driving on the last mile, it amazing how your mind starts thinking about slippers and a a hot drink and what you;re going to do next

free wheel, what's that? I thought sir kept his legs moving to stop lactate something building up?

Top Bottom