Silicone grease in Dualco gun?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scotsbikester

I've got a big tub of this - Sealy silicone grease. I use it for rubber/plastic components (on and off the bike)

I've also got one of these - Dualco mini grease gun - which is currently loaded with axle bearing grease.

The silicone grease is pretty thick. Has anybody put very heavy grease in one of those Dualcos? To be clear, I'm thinking of buying another gun, not trying to use the one I've already got.

Thanks.

I get your question, but it's kinda weird. I cannot think of a single application where you have to inject silicone grease, via grease nipple. Where do you want to apply the rubber grease.

Yes that stuff is thick and I'm pretty sure it will not work with that type of grease gun. A standard piston-behind-the-grease gun will work - you knkow, those mastik type guns designed for inserting a soft sausage of mastik.

I've always just used a vetirinary syringe for such applications.

OP
OP
S

scotsbikester

I get your question, but it's kinda weird. I cannot think of a single application where you have to inject silicone grease, via grease nipple. Where do you want to apply the rubber grease.

Yes that stuff is thick and I'm pretty sure it will not work with that type of grease gun. A standard piston-behind-the-grease gun will work - you knkow, those mastik type guns designed for inserting a soft sausage of mastik.

I've always just used a vetirinary syringe for such applications.

I don't need to apply the grease "via grease nipple". I want a clean way to neatly apply a small amount of silicone grease to a component. At the moment I have to stick my finger in the hole in the cap and smear it on the component.

I don't need to apply the grease "via grease nipple". I want a clean way to neatly apply a small amount of silicone grease to a component. At the moment I have to stick my finger in the hole in the cap and smear it on the component.

OK, I understand. I think a grease gun is an overkill. Try a syringe. Trim bits off the nozzle until the hole is just big enough for your application. I think the Dualco will frustrate you. Their so-called self-activated priming is poor.

OP
OP
S

scotsbikester

OK, I understand. I think a grease gun is an overkill. Try a syringe. Trim bits off the nozzle until the hole is just big enough for your application. I think the Dualco will frustrate you. Their so-called self-activated priming is poor.

Thanks, I'll see what's available. They are certainly cheaper than the dualco. Ideally something with a large enough diameter that I can fill using the plastic-cap-with-a-hole-in-it thing. As spooning silicon grease out to fill is messy. I've just learned.

Last edited:
Top Bottom