Simple pleasures

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I'm in London to attend the BETT exhibition in Docklands. The best bits so far have been:

Riding on the Docklands Light Railway.
Marvelling at the giant train set nature of the DLR.
Eating a square pie from the Square Pie Company
Admiring the regeneration of Docklands.
Eating curried goat with rice and peas.

The most entertaining bits have been pathfinding for the senior manager that I'm with which basically means anticipating which stands he's going to definitely visit - get there before him, succinctly deliver the problem that the companies' products might solve then introduce him to the stand where his fifteen minute self preening auto bigging up pre-amble leads to a multi-branched nebulous definition of a relatively simple problem and watch him being impressed by their immediate grasp of the problem and their 'quickly mustered solution'.

The things I put myself through for an all expenses paid jolly.....

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I'm in London to attend the BETT exhibition in Docklands.

The most entertaining bits have been pathfinding for the senior manager that I'm with which basically means anticipating which stands he's going to definitely visit - get there before him, succinctly deliver the problem that the companies' products might solve then introduce him to the stand where his fifteen minute self preening auto bigging up pre-amble leads to a multi-branched nebulous definition of a relatively simple problem and watch him being impressed by their immediate grasp of the problem and their 'quickly mustered solution'.

The things I put myself through for an all expenses paid jolly.....

Multi-branched nebulous definition - is that Pie in the Sky?

outlash

also available in orange
Ah curried goat w/ rise & peas. One of the many things I miss about London (and there's plenty I don't!).

The regeneration of docklands was necessary, but like a lot of other regeneration schemes it didn't involve the natives at all. After the docks closed in the 60's/70's, work was at a premium and gradually as the rest of industry left (tate & lyle had a large refinery at Silvertown for example), it got left to rot for some years along with the population. It got redeveloped with offices and 'executive' homes while either pushing out our fencing off the locals (Cubitt Town) so developers maximise their profits.
I remember as a kid living there and apart from having the biggest adventure playground to play in, the gradual change from working class to white collar left a nasty taste for a lot of people.

Tony.

OP
OP
vernon

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Ah curried goat w/ rise & peas. One of the many things I miss about London (and there's plenty I don't!).

The regeneration of docklands was necessary, but like a lot of other regeneration schemes it didn't involve the natives at all. After the docks closed in the 60's/70's, work was at a premium and gradually as the rest of industry left (tate & lyle had a large refinery at Silvertown for example), it got left to rot for some years along with the population. It got redeveloped with offices and 'executive' homes while either pushing out our fencing off the locals (Cubitt Town) so developers maximise their profits.
I remember as a kid living there and apart from having the biggest adventure playground to play in, the gradual change from working class to white collar left a nasty taste for a lot of people.

Tony.

Its still an impressive place notwithstanding the social upheavals that took place.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
I went about 89/90 staying at a friends flat (now probably 'apartment') in one of the old council blocks that has been 'tarted-up' , though these were selling rapidly as locals used there right to buy to make a killing...

I met my friend after arriving at that London in what once would have been a pub, but then (& now) a bar; which was 'rich' with the creatures known as 'yuppies' *

Every journey in & out I marvelled at 'Docklands' staring up at buildings pointing skywards to the god of money....

It is so easy in life to miss those simple pleasures in life, as we rush around in our little worlds ...
http://www.getselfhelp.co.uk/mindfulness.htm

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I love the DLR too!! It reminds me of the old trains with the windows at the front so that you could see the driver and the line ahead, only without the seperating window/bulkhead.

Top Bottom