Singapore

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Haitch

Flim Flormally
Zimzum and all others familiar with Singapore, on Saturday afternoon we will be in Singapore for about five hours. What are the must-see/must-do things that we can cram in?

domtyler

Über Member
ZimZum will be only too happy, I'm sure, to take you 'round some of the finest brothels and opium parlours Singapore has to offer! :biggrin:

OP
OP
Haitch

Haitch

Flim Flormally
domtyler said:
ZimZum will be only too happy, I'm sure, to take you 'round some of the finest brothels and opium parlours Singapore has to offer! :biggrin:

OK, so what are the must-see/must-do things my girlfriend and young son can cram in in the meantime?

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Jurong Bird Park was fab 25 years ago and has got better since I'm told - though it is a long way from the airport.
Kranji War Memorial gardens are very peaceful (a rare commodity in S'pore) and could include history opportunities for young Master H
Botanic Gardens nice too.

You could try eating a meal at each one of Changi Airport's restaurants :smile:
.... oh, you've only got 5 hrs, you say :wacko:

Origamist

Legendary Member
I'd get a cab from Changi into the centre - get a bite to eat at a hawker centre, a few beers at Clarke Quay, and then a 40 min or so boat trip...

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Whoohoooo

I was planning a ride on saturday afternoon, but if you really want I could show you around a bit.....

Otherwise, get a cab from the airport (cheap, easy, metered, and quick) and get it to drop you at the Raffles hotel. Have a quick look round, beautiful place.

Then start walking south down North Bridge Road. (maybe pop into the swisshotel, the massive tower, go up to the 71st floor, amazing views. don't go into the new asia bar, but tell them that's where you're headed. when you come out of the lift just check the view from the window for free, the bar's not so cheap) Have a look round the river area, Clarke Quay, Boat Quay. Lovely views of the skyscrapers, and some beautiful old colonial buildings.

Cross to the south of the river and carry on toward Chinatown, either on eu tong sen street or on south bridge road. Have a good wander around, especially mosque street. maybe grab a bit to eat in food street, loads of choice. Keep going south until you get to Duxton road/Duxton hill. amazing temple at the junction of south bridge road and tanjong pagar road. beautiful old shophouses wonderfully restored in the duxton streets (red light district at night but perfectly family safe in the daytime).

if you still have a good bit of time, maybe get a cab to sentosa island, nice beaches, some cool restaurants and bars, an aquarium for the kids. If you have less time, get a cab to east coast park, it's on the way to the airport, and has a nice beach with some cool breezes.

There are some nice places like the bird park and the botanical gardens, but they are a bit far out and the roads will be busy. You can easily spend all your time around the river and in chinatown. you're never going to see everything, but i reckon those are some of the best bits to tick off the list.

but cabs are cheap and plentiful, so don't worry about getting them, it's not like london in that respect!

i'll write again if i think of anything else

zimzum42

Legendary Member
If, for example, the GF wants to go shopping, or you want to do stuff that's more for your son, then i could recommend that kind of thing, but what I wrote above is, I think, a good way to see the main 'sights'....

asterix

Comrade Member
numbnuts said:
Don’t do anything naughty or you’ll get the cane :angry:

e.g. chew gum? Leave the lavatory seat up?

zimzum42

Legendary Member
and here come the gags.....

Seriously though, Singapore is no longer quite the lunatic place it once was, you hardly ever see the police, and most of the 'silly' laws are pretty much ignored....

and chewing gum is OK now, you just can't buy it, but it's ok to own it, so BYO!

OP
OP
Haitch

Haitch

Flim Flormally
Thanks very much for the information, everyone. So much to do in so little time! Your 'tour' sounds good Zim, and so do the botanical gardens and the boat trip. All I have to do now is pack and get out of the house before 12 o'clock to ride to the airport.

Have a good August.

OP
OP
Haitch

Haitch

Flim Flormally
It went very well indeed, thank you. Didn't get back till yesterday evening (four weeks in Australia intervened). We followed your recommendations and got a taxi from the airport to Raffles Hotel, walked down the main road to the river and through China town to the Hindu temple on Temple St before it was time to go back. It was the week before Independence Day and we stood and gawped at the preparations for some time as well. Pity we didn't have enough time to take a boat tour and visit the botanical gardens.

Very nice place, Singapore. Thanks for your suggestions.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
You're most welcome

Singapore is quite a cool place to visit, it's a shame it's just a stopover for most, cos it takes a while to see all the good stuff!

Shout if you're back!

Top Bottom