Skate/Snow/BMX helmets?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zizou

Veteran
661 dirt lid will be considerably cheaper and comes in a variety of colours. Looks less 'horsey' too...but then horsey might be a selling point for some!

Try the Yakkay helmets for something fashionable she might like and that doesn't look like a helmet. Suggest to the MiL that she might put her money where her mouth is and buy her one for Christmas :rolleyes:

machew

Veteran
The Standards for both Cycle and skate helmets are the same (EN 1078, entitled Helmets for pedal cyclists and for users of skateboards and roller skates)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Your missus will look like a right plonker on a bike with a skate helmet on. Get her a Giro Skylar or similar for £40-£50 and they come in girly colours/patterns. For cold ears, buff or skull cap under lid. Oh and tell the MIL not to stick her nose in !

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
What ever you decide to go for ... try it on first ... heads come in different shapes and sizes and so certain helmets just don't fit certain shaped heads - and make sure it is adjustable. As far as I know I've not seen the skate helmets with the rear adjustment - but I may be wrong.

snailracer

Über Member
... The foam used in the Bern Muse is either EPS or something called Brock Foam which doesn't have as much impact protection but withstands minor impacts and ventilates/moulds to the head better....
If you go for the Bern, you might as well get her the one designed to meet bike helmet standards i.e. the EPS one, not the one with Brock foam:

http://www.bernunlimited.com/Products/Helmets/Muse?helmetType=Snow

"Available as a Hard Hat with a burly ABS shell with multiple-impact soft Brock® foam or as a helmet with ABS shell and EPS hard foam. EPS hard foam meets ASTM F 2040 and EN 1077B standards for snow and ski, CPSC and EN 1078 standards for bike and skate. Hard Hats with Brock soft foam do not meet the standards for action sport head protection."

snailracer

Über Member
What ever you decide to go for ... try it on first ... heads come in different shapes and sizes and so certain helmets just don't fit certain shaped heads - and make sure it is adjustable. As far as I know I've not seen the skate helmets with the rear adjustment - but I may be wrong.
Also, look for straps that don't slip in the adjustment buckles. My Bell Venture has buckles with little plastic spikes that keep the straps exactly where I set them - most helmets rely on friction which IME require constant readjustment.

We'd seen the Yakkay helmets, good idea but I question the point of a fabric cover esp. during wet winter weather, though you can buy them "naked" too. Agree about "putting her money where her mouth is" , she doesn't know what to ask for for Christmas so could suggest it.

The cover is detachable so in really wet weather you can take it off and just have a hard shell helmet but the rest of the time its a bit more fashionable looking and doesn't look like a helmet.

Top Bottom