Sleeping mats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Foam.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Foam.
The foil reflects body heat through it to give you a warm bed.

I've always been extremely skeptical as to the value of reflective foils when dealing with body heat. Fair enough to reflect the sun, or radiant heat from a fire, but the radiation of heat (as opposed to conduction / comvection) from a person must be negligable.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
It's how sleeping bags work.
The bag itself won't generate heat but keeps body heat inside the bag.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I've always been extremely skeptical as to the value of reflective foils when dealing with body heat. Fair enough to reflect the sun, or radiant heat from a fire, but the radiation of heat (as opposed to conduction / comvection) from a person must be negligable.
I thought the idea was to stop the cold coming up from the ground but 'Closed Cell' foam should be effective enough.

Drago

Legendary Member

Big debate in SAR community at the moment over the effectiveness of foil blankets. Some research on behalf of the NHS suggests they may act as a thermos flask, keeping already cold people cold. Current UK SAR guidance is they should ideally be used over a blanket, or as an emergency wind shelter, but not on their own as a blankie.

Top Bottom