Slight Dilemma

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
Hey all

I currently have a ridgeback velocity which seen me through over 1000 miles in the last year pootling too and from work and have ramped up the mileage in the last few weeks (before my wheel destroyed itself!)

I'm due to get a bit of cash in the next few weeks and unsure wether to get an entry level road/race bike or to keep my velocity and upgrade a few parts (rear wheel is being upgraded under the insurance as 3 broken spokes and a flat spotted rim need sorting sharpish!) i know it needs a services as i can hear some creaking in the headset and the front gears do knock against the derailier on middle cog so that will be done regardless.

im only going to be using the bike to commute and for a few long training rides before i do my bristol to le mans charity bike ride so not sure really what to do as i would need panniers for it (unless i can get 2 kind/silly souls to drive support cars for me and my mates).

any imput would be appreciated, BTW i would be looking to spend £350-450 if i was to buy a new bike

- Baz -

I've been using a Ridgeback Speed for commuting 15 miles a day round trip for 18 months. Changed a few bits (saddle, pedals, tyres). The bike has been fantastic. It's VERY comfy and has never let me down (touch wood!). I keep it well maintained though. I'd also love a road bike, but the roads here are dire and the Ridgeback soaks up the worst of the bumps with ease. Wouldn't be without the mudguards, either.

I'd spend some dosh on a few upgrades and save a little more for a better road bike in the future (say £500-750). That's my plan, anyway!

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
If you're happy with the bike as a base why change it ?
Freshen it up with a service and new grips / tape, maybe a new set of bars (on one Marys are great), new bike feel for little money.

Top Bottom