Slightly different tyre question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Riding my Whyte the other day for the first time in a while (happens when you succumb to the N+1 imperative :whistle: ), the rear end kept sliding going round corners :ohmy:

There is a fixed rack on the back of the bike, trunk bag with expanding panniers, wasn't carrying that much weight (no more than I usually would on the roadbike commuter). Stock 28mm tyres (Maxxis Detonator). Rear was softer than it should have been.

A tyre issue, lack of air issue, weight distribution issue, other? Certainly a bit disconcerting especially as this is meant to be the wet weather bike with disc brakes

Thoughts? :thumbsup:

ushills

Veteran
I would suggest lack of air this will result in a creep around corners, to much air and it may bounce and bump around a corner but shouldn't slide.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I have pumped the tyre up now, will ride it tomorrow. Can't use the Joe Blow with gauge though as when Evans changed the inner tube, they used one with the shortest valve possible! :wacko:

I have pumped the tyre up now, will ride it tomorrow. Can't use the Joe Blow with gauge though as when Evans changed the inner tube, they used one with the shortest valve possible! :wacko:
Sounds to me that that might be part of the trouble, most valve stems I have come across during my cycling life are more than long enough to fit a track pump adaptor on, maybe your inner tube is not seated down correctly. Sometimes If the hole in the rim tape is not correctly aligned up it can restrict the vale stem protruding through the rim. I would remove the tyre and check the tape is fitted correctly

Top Bottom