slipping gears

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
This bike is so lucky mmm
After the tyre inflation thing I decided to do the 15 mile (round trip) undulating commute. So of I go on the small frame sirrus but that bit wasn't too bad. The bad bit was the slipping gears. Especially hitting a low gear and a hill. The gears slipped like mad. Could it be the excellent Halfords have set it up wrong, oh and the rear mudgaurd is rubbing on the tyre.
What next?
Bed, thats what......but the 5 mile jog this morning on the south downs way was excellent :blush:

Tynan

Veteran
still new?

you can expect the gear cable to stretch early on so the twiddly bit near the cassette will need a turn or so so the the chain isn;t dithering between one gear and the next

it never really stops

Maz

Guru
The Jogger said:
oh and the rear mudgaurd is rubbing on the tyre.
I occasionally have this problem following a bike-off :laugh:.

In your case, I reckon it hasn't been set up right. You'll need to loosen the nuts on the spoke thingies of the mudguard, adjust it so it doesn't rub the tyre and re-tighten.

Maz

Guru
The Jogger said:
They put a clamp on mudgaurd on it, you know, the type that attaches to the saddle pole, thing....
That's the seatpost. I think you can loosen the clamp and nudge it one way so it doesn't rub, then re-tighten...I think.

Top Bottom