slow puncture...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
Bit of a strange question, but anyway...

Got back to my bike after work and, as I always do, I gave the tyres a quick press before setting off. Rear tyre had a slow puncture in it, as it was still partially inflated. I was in a rush to get back and was wondering whether to top up the air and head home, (checking the pressure every mile or so), or change it (despite the heavy rain). In the end I changed it.

Does anyone ever top-up and fix the puncture when they get home, or is that not a good idea?

shimano

this is one of those 64k dollar questions - how far did you have to go? how much would a replacement tyre and or wheel cost? Me on my old mtb with tyres you can buy in Tesco and a wheel that can be had for 12 quid I'd chance it - pouring rain is such a persuader:biggrin: but once I buy a decent bike...

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Maz said:
Bit of a strange question, but anyway...

Got back to my bike after work and, as I always do, I gave the tyres a quick press before setting off. Rear tyre had a slow puncture in it, as it was still partially inflated. I was in a rush to get back and was wondering whether to top up the air and head home, (checking the pressure every mile or so), or change it (despite the heavy rain). In the end I changed it.

Does anyone ever top-up and fix the puncture when they get home, or is that not a good idea?

Depends on how slow the puncture is and how far to my destination. If only 2 - 3 miles away then I would top up however any more than that then I would fix on the roadside.

Tynan

Veteran
I'd ride a slow puncture if it was slow enough, I had one once that took all night to go down, that one didn't get fixed for weeks

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
I had a 7 mile ride home. I think I did the right thing and didn't risk damaging the tyre and rim.

asterix

Comrade Member
No I don't like to as the road home is all up and down hills and my bike is a bit twitchy on low pressures. Can't take the risk.

byegad

Legendary Member
I tend to ride home after topping up. I use CO2 inflators and can bring a tyre up to pressure in seconds so would probably ride on even if I had to top up a couple of times.

A good rule of thumb for slow punctures is that each time you pump up the tyre, the time before you have to pump it up again halves.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
I would just replace the tube. Its a a better fix in the long run. 'squelchly' tyres are nasty to ride as well

Top Bottom