Smartphone satnav + route recommendations - possible?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Ok, here's what I'd like...

I decide I'd like to do a 50-mile route (give or take) starting out at a station I can reach from X station within half an hour. So I put that spec into a website, and it gives me half a dozen routes that meet that description. So I have a look at them and choose one, and go get on the train.

When I get off at the recommended station, I turn on the GPS on my phone and an earpiece in my ear, and a nice friendly voice tells me to go left. Then half a mile later it tells me to go right. And so on, round the route, till it takes me back to the station, and I go home.

Is that possible? And/or, how much of that is possible? And how would I go about doing it?

Many thanks in advance for any help & advice.

BRounsley

Über Member
In short you can do all of this.
All you need is a satnav app that’s works on your phone and that has a cycle setting (so it doesn’t send you down a motorway!). It sounds like you’d have to navigate to points on your circular route as most satnavs are point to point (some you can put in waypoints).
I do it a bit different. I carefully plot my route in advance and export the route into my phone/app. That way I’m on nice lanes and not the quicker A Roads (google street view is a wonderful thing). This comes down to how good the app software is at routing and how much you want to plan.
I also prefer the rolling map showing my position than the ‘turn left’ you get with a car style satnav. This requires the phone on the handle bars but I’d think you’d want that anyway.
The beauty of the smartphone is you can experiment with different software.
Pitfalls to be wary off.
Battery Life – Having the GPS on and Screen on can spank your battery life so make sure have enough. This is easily solvable by getting an external battery.
Maps – Often cheap/free apps download the map titles over the air. It’s a legal thing about paying licences. So not only will it spank your data you may have poor or no reception so no map! It’s about getting the right software. So either pay more or find one that allows free map download.
Recommendation is a bit more tricky as that depends on phone, preferences and cost.
I have an iPhone. I have TomTom on it and that has a cycle setting. Expensive but this is also my car satnav. Only use this if I’m really lost.
I typically use an app called MotionX (and download the map titles in advance) and import my GPX files. Used it for years and it does everything I need it to do
I upload my routes as GPX files that I create using the gpsies website.
I stick my phone in Topeak holder.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Thanks, that's really helpful. When you say you plot your route in advance and then export it into your phone, presumably that means doing the 'plotting' on a pc? Using gpsies? Then exporting using a USB cable? Onto your phone that has MotionX (or whatever)? Thanks again.

paul04

Über Member
You don't say which phone you have, I have a Samsung S4 which does have free map app built in ( free on all android based phones)
And as you can see from this screen shot, you can pick cycling mode.

Screenshot_2013-12-09-13-08-32.png
Also in the app store there are plenty of gps map apps available to download. It will be the same if you have a iPhone.
https://play.google.com/store/search?q=gps&c=apps

Last edited:

BRounsley

Über Member
Thanks, that's really helpful. When you say you plot your route in advance and then export it into your phone, presumably that means doing the 'plotting' on a pc? Using gpsies? Then exporting using a USB cable? Onto your phone that has MotionX (or whatever)? Thanks again.
Yeah I use a PC to plot the route (create the GPX file). Gpsies is just a website so in theory any device with a web browser would work. It’s just easier with a mouse. There are other websites to create the files. GPX is a pretty common standard.

You don’t necessary have to create your own GPX files. There are lots of website where people have uploaded their own GPX/route files. You can also save a ride you’ve tracks as a GPX file. Gpsies has a section for this also. The beauty of something like Gpsies is it also shows you how much climb etc.

I just email the files to myself to get them onto the phone. On an iPhone you just hold your finger down on an email attachment and it ask you which program to open it with. I select MotionX to upload the route into that app.

albion

Guru
Google Maps lets you select an area to download for off-line viewing.
It also downloads most bicycle routes(but maybe you need that selecting first as a 'layer') so it should be well usable as a bike GPS. From 'maps' you get an inspect directions, and if to liking the click the navigation button.
It won't beat local knowledge so sometimes it is best to use it in part assist mode.

Frood42

I know where my towel is
I brought a Mio 305 GPS computer, it was expensive, but it has mapping.

You can go to a point, ask it to plot a loop of a certain distance, and then off you go.
You can also upload GPX tracks to it as well.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Two hundred pinds? Have you taken leave of your senses? What's the world coming to, mutter mutter mumble mumble.... and another thing....

Top Bottom