Snow maintenance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Ok - so I admit I have sinned and not looked after it properly..:biggrin:. so I've brought it inside and cleaned the rust off the chain - amazed how much had appeared since its last clean about a week or so ago. The links feel quite stiff so I have put on more lube than normal ... will that help?

Rather weirdly the wheels also feel if they aren't running smoothly (disk brakes) - more than normal. Is there anything on the wheel that needs looking at other than the brakes? or lubricating in this weather?

jimboalee

In cold, snowy, rainy and SALTY weather, you should be cleaning and lubing EVERY lunchtime.

I got fed up of this years ago so bought a second-hand heap with well greased chain, Sturmey 3 speed, full chainguard, leather faced brake blocks on chrome rims.

Now I do the maintenance one a week.

jimboalee

jimboalee said:
In cold, snowy, rainy and SALTY weather, you should be cleaning and lubing EVERY lunchtime.

I got fed up of this years ago so bought a second-hand heap with well greased chain, Sturmey 3 speed, full chainguard, leather faced brake blocks on chrome rims.

Now I do the maintenance one a week.

Come to think about it, this Halfords own Apollo County gent's heap is ALL steel, weighs 39lb with a big lamp fitted.

It's cost me £100 all up with a pair of Schwalbe M+ 26 x 1 3/8".

In it's day, it would have been affectionally know in these parts as a BSO, but 'slaggy offy' chatrooms didn't exist in 1986.

The bike was used regularly by its previous owner to get his morning paper from a newsagent 2 miles from his country dwelling between 1986 and 2005.
Since 2005, I have used it through the winters for my 28 miles per day commute.
It still has the original leather faced brake blocks :biggrin:

Addmittedly, the brake calipers themselves are contructed from two slices of pressed cheddar, and the hubs are chrome plated toilet roll tubes.

Nevertheless, it does the business and last year I took it on a 100km DIY Audax, just for fun.

They don't make BSOs like they used to, eh?

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I still don't like them and you aren't going to convince me on them....:biggrin: (and you get different varieties of BSO - some better than others) but it doesn't make my wheel better:biggrin:

Davidc

Guru
Any crud on the discs should come off with first use. I've used my round town mtb very little for the past week or so and I notice that there're some signs of corrosion on the rim braking surface.

I do my chains and exposed transmission parts weekly with a good dry lube which is very water repellant, and I can't see any sign of corrosion, so that seems to be working.

All I want is to see the back of the snow and ice - my legs are seizing up with lack of pedalling - walking just isn't the same!

MartinC

Über Member
Jim, it's only something that's not fit for purpose that's a BSO. A traditional 26 x 1 3/8 3 speed roadster does what it's supposed to very well. Yours may be unfashionable but clearly does what it needs to very well. Enjoy.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I'm washing down my bike every evening in this weather. Hopefully it'll warm up and rain soon and I can get back to the usual maintenance schedule.

ChrisM

I used a old Repco sport Vertex Mountain bike (anyone ever heard of these??) that I was given last year to get through the snow. Its knobbly tyres and the fact that I don't have to worry about the salt ruining my road or hybrid is great.

Sounds like your BSO is just the job!!

Tempted to take the hybrid today though, the Mountain bike is hard work lol...

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
i haven't cleaned any of my bikes in 2 weeks, but then again i haven't ridden in 2 weeks.

Top Bottom