So, what would you use to seal the deal?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Just lined the downstairs loo with old photos:

1669804665503.png

...a combination of laser-printed b/w & inkjet-printed colour. Now I'm looking to seal it, hopefully to protect it from both dirt and aging/yellowing. PVA seems like an obvious candidate, but I'm not sure how well it ages. I'd like this to last a decade and some.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Chislenko

Veteran
Tiles!

T4tomo

Legendary Member
what about an artists spray can sealer / varnish?

wear a mask when spraying though as you're in a small confined space.

Jameshow

Veteran
Use water based polyurethane varnish
Test first to check the inkjet won't run...

Lazer won't bit inkjet might iirc.

AndyRM

XOXO
Mega cool that btw @swee'pea99

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
At the least PVA will make it easier to wipe over every now and again. Great idea by the way, I have a load of vintage sheet music that I was thinking of doing my hallway in.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
First off, thanks everyone! Really helpful. Have to say my first instinct is to go for AndyRM's matte spray - looks like it would do the job and be really easy. :okay: :smile:. But they don't have any. So, hmmm...

Water based satin varnish.

water based polyurethane varnish

Are these brush type things? I don't have a problem as such, but might be a bit heavy duty/overkill? In any case...

Don't think sealing it with whatever will stop it from yellowing eventually but should last as I can't see any window.

There is no window! It is buried in the bowels, and hasn't seen daylight in a century. Does this mean I don't have to worry? It's not like it's going to get dirty.

Mega cool that btw @swee'pea99

Well thank you. :smile: As I said on the insta reel I made of it, 15 years in the mulling, three months in the making, 3.21 in the recording (which doubtless won't work....I've never tried this before!)

Again, thanks all. Any more, I'm all ears :okay:

Top Bottom