Soft boiled eggs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ben M

Damn you, the holidays are my break from things like this!

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
20z7h3q.jpg

All seems a bit obvious to me...

I've a nasty feeling, I used to try and solve, numerically, equations just like that for my (abortive) postgrad. project. I also recall trying to solve them analytically and getting bogged down in 'orrible Bessel functions or the like. It was nothing to do with eggs you must understand. Maybe that's why I never completed...

Keith Oates

Janner
What's the problem, I thought everyone knew that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I've a nasty feeling, I used to try and solve, numerically, equations just like that for my (abortive) postgrad. project. I also recall trying to solve them analytically and getting bogged down in 'orrible Bessel functions or the like. It was nothing to do with eggs you must understand. Maybe that's why I never completed...

Crumbs - that's tough stuff. And of course Eggs aren't really spherical - so Elliptical Bessels or some such would be required (I'm guessing now).

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
The air bubble in a fresh egg is very small and the 'white' is denser whereas in an old egg the 'white' is more liquid and the air bubble larger insulating the bottom, rounded end for longer in the boiling water.... which given that the yolk is nearer the round end and attached by a denser 'umbilical' membrane will cook faster than the pointy [technical term] end so the variables in shape and density due to age makes a complete nonsense of the calculation on a Thursday near Halifax.

Top Bottom