Solar Powered CCTV

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
It's probably not what you want to read but the above seems (to me) to be something that deserves a bit of attention.

Will a camera stop you thinking like this? Reduce the anxiety?

You may find it more helpful to investigate some methods of dealing with the stress and trauma internally rather than externally.

Best of luck

It's a very valid point and one that I have also asked myself. I have had a few counselling sessions to try and rid myself of these memories, but it seems that they are very much etched into my mind/head. Today's bombshell phone call from the Police has only served to open up the already unhealed mental scars I'm afraid.

The truth is no matter what I do in terms of adding additional security it is not giving me any sort of rest bite or comfort, but I have to try?

The annoying fact that for the sake of a few quid, I could have avoided it all from happening in the first place......hindsight ah?

Even a single low-cost patio style deadlock on the back door would have avoided it maybe? Assuming that because the locks on house have a BS number doesn't mean that they are nothing short of useless!!!

The sort of car that it was, meant it was always going to be attractive to the lower members of society, and I accepted and understood that when I bought it. In truth it was a bit of a mid-life crisis purchase when after a test drive my wife said to me "I haven't seen you smile so much in years". So that was it, done deal....lol

I thought that I had put the necessary plans in place to secure it as best I could, steering lock, alarm, Faraday pouch etc. My biggest error was I failed to understand or appreciate the securty of the house and as a result I've paid the ultimate price.

The other "problem", it would often sit on the drive for days even weeks at time, so it was more of an expensive ornament than an actual mode of transport.

The shocker, our bedroom overlooks the driveway and on the night in question the window was open. The car had a very distinct burble when it started until the second exhaust valve shut down and the exhaust then quietened down quite considerably. We never heard a thing :ohmy:

They searched all the downstairs cupboards trying to find the car keys, this included going into the integral garage where all my bikes, wheels, turbo and tools were. If it was the bikes they wanted, then it was just a single up and over door that was between them and getting away with the whole lot!!!

That thought alone haunts me and has the been the basis on many a dream/nightmare ever since. :eek:

I have heard from mates that have had their cars nicked that they usually roll them off the drive and only start the engine up later.

My main deterrent is not having a car that is very nickable. (I hope anyway).

Keeping it in the garage seems to be the best idea though. Unless someone follows you home - how would they know it was there ?

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
That's awful. What car was it ?
We have some Amazon blink cameras. Mainly inside the house but there's one in the garden that runs off a battery. Motion activated and the battery lasts months at a time.

They all tie together with an app and it's uploaded to the cloud so the footage is safe.

It was a BMW M135i and it was a pre-retirement present to me. As a lifelong petrol head, it was a drivers dream from every aspect, looks, style and not forgetting the ultimate driving experience. It was two days short of being a year old when it was stolen.

Yes, of course it's just a car and yes, the insurance paid out, in fact they paid out £5k more than I paid for it?? But a new one had gone up £10k :angry: But I've worked hard, and some low light scum took it away from me. :thumbsdown:

To say that I've worked all my life to be able to buy a car like this would be an over exaggeration, but I do consider myself to be fortunate enough to be able to do it and it was a case hell, why not?

Life is for living....right?

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
I have heard from mates that have had their cars nicked that they usually roll them off the drive and only start the engine up later.

My main deterrent is not having a car that is very nickable. (I hope anyway).

Keeping it in the garage seems to be the best idea though. Unless someone follows you home - how would they know it was there ?

Being an automatic with an electric handbrake, rolling it of the drive was not an option, hence why they needed the keys.

Trust me the replacement is garaged every night now and no its not the same model as I really didn't want a repeat episode.

This is the next problem, if they want it, one way or another they will take it.....full stop. Follow my wife to the supermarket or back home from the supermarket, wait for her to get out of car, hey presto, car unlocked and keys to hand...easy!

Dadam

I've often wondered about this. In the late 90s I had a Citroen Saxo VTS. These days I'm not sure how I even fit in the thing! :biggrin: It was a hoot to drive though, 120 bhp from a zingy 1.6 16V that revved to the heavens and weighed 950kg.

Anyway, it had a keypad immobiliser. Put key in, turn ignition on then put a 4 digit PIN into the pad. 3 tries then it's locked for 30 minutes. I thought it was great idea but the next model deleted it. I presume people found it a faff and forgot their codes :rolleyes: Doesn't seem to worry people at ATMs though. I know my Dad wasn't best pleased when he wanted to move it to get his car out to get to work one morning. I'd changed the code and forgot to tell him! :blush: I was in bed or I'd have told him the code but it was too late by then; he rang in to say he'd be late. He could have taken the handbrake off and pushed it off the drive, dead easy to push, or hauled me out of bed and I'd have done it, but hey ho.

I think they should bring this back. All you need is a duress code for carjackers that will allow normal driving for 200-400 yards to clear the immediate area, then either stop or go to 10mph and sound alarms.

It's a very valid point and one that I have also asked myself. I have had a few counselling sessions to try and rid myself of these memories, but it seems that they are very much etched into my mind/head. Today's bombshell phone call from the Police has only served to open up the already unhealed mental scars I'm afraid.

Well, you're aware that is an issue. If you get your cameras and are still feeling this way then you can always come back and have another go at it.
I'd suggest that getting rid of the memories isn't the goal, but managing the impact of those memories could be.

The truth is no matter what I do in terms of adding additional security it is not giving me any sort of rest bite or comfort, but I have to try?
Yes. You probably should try. But as you're aware there are different things to try. And different objectives.
Is the objective to make your home an impenetrable fortress or is it to be able to sleep without nightmares or jump at every strange sound after dark?

I could be way off here but I'm picking up a lot of self blame in your post....
I could have avoided it all from happening in the first place......hindsight ah?
My biggest error was.....
We never heard a thing

Maybe you could have a go at being a bit kinder to yourself.
You didn't lose the car - someone stole it.
As you say in relation to the current car - if they really want it they'll take it.
There's a value in reviewing our actions with a view to not repeating our mistakes, not so much in continually beating ourselves up.

That thought alone haunts me and has the been the basis on many a dream/nightmare ever since

Best of luck!

I've often wondered about this. In the late 90s I had a Citroen Saxo VTS. These days I'm not sure how I even fit in the thing! :biggrin: It was a hoot to drive though, 120 bhp from a zingy 1.6 16V that revved to the heavens and weighed 950kg.

Anyway, it had a keypad immobiliser. Put key in, turn ignition on then put a 4 digit PIN into the pad. 3 tries then it's locked for 30 minutes. I thought it was great idea but the next model deleted it. I presume people found it a faff and forgot their codes :rolleyes: Doesn't seem to worry people at ATMs though. I know my Dad wasn't best pleased when he wanted to move it to get his car out to get to work one morning. I'd changed the code and forgot to tell him! :blush: I was in bed or I'd have told him the code but it was too late by then; he rang in to say he'd be late. He could have taken the handbrake off and pushed it off the drive, dead easy to push, or hauled me out of bed and I'd have done it, but hey ho.

I think they should bring this back. All you need is a duress code for carjackers that will allow normal driving for 200-400 yards to clear the immediate area, then either stop or go to 10mph and sound alarms.

I think Teslas can have pin codes and GPS tracking. Add the sentry cameras to that and they're about as secure as cars get. Just a pity about Musk.

vickster

Legendary Member

That's probably what happened to my Golf GTI 10 years ago :angry: Reckon it was nicked to order, rare colour, 3 door spec. Again sat on my drive a fair amount. Think I still have the key somewhere :rolleyes: Again from under an open window when I was asleep :angry:

Dadam

I think Teslas can have pin codes and GPS tracking. Add the sentry cameras to that and they're about as secure as cars get. Just a pity about Musk.

I'm sure they do, and fully agree re that clown. It just seems such an obvious, fairly low tech solution, that a car I owned 25 years ago had but never caught on.

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
Well, you're aware that is an issue. If you get your cameras and are still feeling this way then you can always come back and have another go at it.
I'd suggest that getting rid of the memories isn't the goal, but managing the impact of those memories could be.

Yes. You probably should try. But as you're aware there are different things to try. And different objectives.
Is the objective to make your home an impenetrable fortress or is it to be able to sleep without nightmares or jump at every strange sound after dark?

I could be way off here but I'm picking up a lot of self blame in your post....

Maybe you could have a go at being a bit kinder to yourself.
You didn't lose the car - someone stole it.
As you say in relation to the current car - if they really want it they'll take it.
There's a value in reviewing our actions with a view to not repeating our mistakes, not so much in continually beating ourselves up.

Best of luck!

Some wise words, thank you for taking the time to write them.

I don't necessarily blame myself but maybe with a bit more thought I could have possibly avoided the situation. But I guess I will never know for sure?

As for my ultimate objective, I have no idea, I just feel like I should be doing more, but what area more is, I don't really know?

But as you quite rightly say, its better to try and find a way to manage the impact of the memories.

I also added two solar powered flood lights last year, and touch wood they are still working as they should. That said they don't get a lot of use and are only on for a couple of minutes maximum once they are triggered.

What make and model?? I need to do something our broken ones.

Although my problem is that I need 2 that have a solar panel remote from the light as the side passage (lucky is is not round the back or that would sound bad!!) is very shady

Top Bottom