Some threads are listed differently!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fastpedaller

I didn't know where to put this, or indeed how to title it!
For some threads the most recent replies appear on page 1, for other threads the most recent notes are on the 'highest number page' - Why is this?

Sharky

Guru
Suspect that it displays the first unread post on a thread.

OP
OP
F

Fastpedaller

Suspect that it displays the first unread post on a thread.

But for some a 2023 post is on page 1, and a 2016 post is on page 23 (as an example). Others a 2023 post is on page 56 and a 2013 post is on page 1. I'm puzzle (or utterly incorrect, I can't work out which :headshake: )

richardfm

Veteran
But for some a 2023 post is on page 1, and a 2016 post is on page 23 (as an example). Others a 2023 post is on page 56 and a 2013 post is on page 1. I'm puzzle (or utterly incorrect, I can't work out which :headshake: )

Can you give us an example of a thread where the most recent post is on page 1?

OP
OP
F

Fastpedaller

No I can't! I'm sure I saw some yesterday (hence my post), but I can't now. :banghead:
If one pops up again, I'll be at the ready to ask my (non?) question again

Alex321

Veteran

I haven't seen that on this site at all. All the threads I have looked at start with the oldest post, and go on to the most recent post last in the thread.

What does happen is that if you just click on the thread, and you have looked at it recently, it usually (not always, for some reason) takes you to the earliest post you haven't yet read - so to one of the last or near last pages. If you aren't expecting that, you might not realise you are not on page 1.

OP
OP
F

Fastpedaller

I've just seen it!!! I guess it's to do with whether it's a thread or a forum subsection - but the difference is there, and I find it confusing.
I just clicked on the Home and DIY forum. It starts off with page 1 and has the most recent threads. If I look at page 23 it has very old threads.If I look at one of the threads (that has many replies) the most recent reply for that thread is on the highest number page. So to sum up...... In an individual thread the most recent posts are on the highest number page - In a forum subsection listing, the most recent threads are on the lowest number page.

OP
OP
F

Fastpedaller

DIY, Home and Garden

Alex321

Veteran
I've just seen it!!! I guess it's to do with whether it's a thread or a forum subsection - but the difference is there, and I find it confusing.
I just clicked on the Home and DIY forum. It starts off with page 1 and has the most recent threads. If I look at page 23 it has very old threads.If I look at one of the threads (that has many replies) the most recent reply for that thread is on the highest number page. So to sum up...... In an individual thread the most recent posts are on the highest number page - In a forum subsection listing, the most recent threads are on the lowest number page.

Well yes.

Threads consist of posts, and the thread starts with post #1, and goes on to the latest post (#9 in this thread before I post).

While the subforums list threads, not posts, and the assumption is that you will want to see the threads with most recent posts first, so forums have the threads listed with most recently updated first (with an exception for "stickies" which are always listed before any non-stickies, but also ordered by most recent post within the stickies if there are multiple.

Top Bottom