Sometimes the past IS all it's cracked up to be!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Mr Pig said:
You inspired me to go and listen to some Elvis Costello :0) Hard to pick a favorite track, so many great songs, but mine must be 'Peace Love And Understanding'. I can listen to that over and over, in fact I just did.

You should give the new best of by Nick Lowe a go - 2 CDs and a DVD's worth. Got his original version of P.L and U. and tons of other great songs on it, great stuff!

Apparently he got a massive payday when when they played a snippet of the Curtis Stigers version in 'The Bodyguard' - it appeared on the soundtrack LP and sold over 15 million copies!! lucky git....

Mr Pig

You should give the new best of by Nick Lowe

Oh hang on, I have a Nick Lowe album somewhere. Does he have one called 'Pinker And Prouder That Pevious'? That rings a bell. I can't remember anything about but I couldn't have liked it much, or I'd know where it is! ;0)

name a modern artist in the charts that can play an instrument?

There will be some but I see your point. In fact I said something along similar lines to my daughter yesterday.

We'd just gone through to dinner and she was taking the mick out of 'Message In A Bottle' which I'd just been blasting out of the livingroom, mainly saying that it was repetitive; "they just sing 'sos to the world' over and over".

I said that the difference between it and the songs she listens to is that her music actually 'is' the same all the way though. If you listen to The Police song there is loads of variation and really clever, interesting things all the way through it because they're playing real instruments, and they're really good at it. The drumming is fantastic!

I am inclined to feel that even the bands today who do play real music are not as good at it as the bands were years ago. And sadly, real music doesn't figure much in the charts any more, but it's still out there.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Mr Pig said:
I am inclined to feel that even the bands today who do play real music are not as good at it as the bands were years ago. And sadly, real music doesn't figure much in the charts any more, but it's still out there.

I disagree, since the mid 90's there has been an ever increasing growth of 'real' music bands under the indie guise. If you dig past the repetetive mainstream farmed pop/dance tripe you can find some cracking bands out there at the moment but they rarely get very high in the charts (with exception of maybe the Kings of Leon and The Killers - but they have become a bit poppy lately). I love Elvis Costello and grew up listening to a wide range of music from many era's and some new material from the likes of Elbow, Editors, Doves etc are IMO justas goo as most of it.

But thats the beauty of music, everyone has different opinions.

Mr Pig

Wigsie said:
I disagree, since the mid 90's there has been a growth of 'real' music bands under the indie guise.

I don't agree. Indie 'is' the new mainstream! Today Indie is just as formulaic and dull as anything that ever crawled out of The Hit Factory. Owning a real guitar doesn't mean you have the brains to do anything interesting with it and most of the so called Indie bands out today are bland-city.

ComedyPilot said:
To prove the point, name a modern artist in the charts that can play an instrument?

Paris Hilton had actually quite a good single out a while back and she can certainly play an instument! I have seen the video.

Comedy Pilot - You are starting to sound like my Dad.

There is good out there and crap out there same as 40 Years ago.

Try this..

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brZTvGIzeGg

Fleet Foxes. GREAT -
they can play and have recently been in the charts.

As singles are no longer relevant "The charts" no longer reflect what is going on out there. Album chart may be more relevant.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Mr Pig said:
I don't agree. Indie 'is' the new mainstream! Today Indie is just as formulaic and dull as anything that ever crawled out of The Hit Factory. Owning a real guitar doesn't mean you have the brains to do anything interesting with it and most of the so called Indie bands out today are bland-city.

You didnt read my post did you? just rushed to argue your point like so many people on here :birthday:.

There is a lot of mainstream indie bands I agree they are everywhere and most of it is forgettable nonsense, there would not have been such a rise in the the indie scene if it had not gone mainstream. I am pretty sure I said if you dig past the mainstream (ok I did not mention indie amongst the pop/dance etc) you WILL find some talented bands that are just as good as many artists from past decades.

Have you listened to 'Seldom Seen Kid' from Elbow or 'An End Has a Start' from Editors? what are you basing your judgements on?

Mr Pig

The term Indie is meaningless now. There is nothing rebellious, exiting or cutting edge about most of them. You site 'Kings Of Leon'. I bought three of their albums expecting good things based on the hype they were getting and was bored by three hours of nothing very new. And if they're not being boring they're often just making as much of a racket as possible.

And I do bundle 'The Editors' and 'The Killers' in with the dross here. I don't hear anything at all new from them, in fact I gave their albums away.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Mr Pig said:
The term Indie is meaningless now. There is nothing rebellious, exiting or cutting edge about most of them. You site 'Kings Of Leon'. I bought three of their albums expecting good things based on the hype they were getting and was bored by three hours of nothing very new. And if they're not being boring they're often just making as much of a racket as possible.

And I do bundle 'The Editors' and 'The Killers' in with the dross here. I don't hear anything at all new from them, in fact I gave their albums away.

Ok fair enough, you are entitled to your opinion (I actually gave away my KOL - Only by the Night Album as I think the newer stuff is a bit 'samey'), differences are of course what makes life interesting.

Some people have a narrower spectrum of musical taste thats all. Myself, I think I have a very broad spectrum of musical taste (iPod includes Chopin, Bach, Elbow, Jimi Hendrix, Elvis Costello, Bowie, Beatles, Rolling Stones, Duran Duran, Benny Goodman, Oasis, Stone Roses, Smiths, Prodigy, Chemical Brothers, The Clash, Police, Paul Weller to name but a few) and will give everything a fair shot before I judge an entire genre.

Mr Pig

Wigsie said:
I will give everything a fair shot before I judge an entire genre.

So do I, just that most new so called Indie is sh**. I'm happy to listen to The smiths, REM etc all day but struggle to find modern Indie that's anywhere near as good.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Fair point.... I played some INXS from my music files on my PC at work yesterday and the guys in the office were saying "who is this?"

As I said, thats the beauty of Music, its subjective and we are all very different.... it has the power to divide and unite people within the space of a few minutes!

Top Bottom