Sonder Camino freehub/freewheel noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kingspirit

Hi All,
Recently purchased Sonder Camino, but the noise coming from freehub/freewheel when I'm not pedaling is loud, which is irritating.
How do you make it quieter? And is possible to change the freehub/freewheel (to a quieter one) on its own? Or the whole wheel has to be changed?

Thanks!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
For some people noisy freehubs are a badge of coolness.

The noise comes from the ratchet inside the freehub, so you could get an equivalent sized freehub and replace your existing one. But it's a bit of a maze to make sure you get the right size, and you might need to add or remove spacers and stuff if you don't get exactly the right one. I know if I was doing it I'd definitely get the wrong size. But then, I'm an idiot.

It ,might be easier just to try to become a lover of freewheel noise.

OP
OP
K

kingspirit

The noise comes from the ratchet inside the freehub, so you could get an equivalent sized freehub and replace your existing one. But it's a bit of a maze to make sure you get the right size, and you might need to add or remove spacers and stuff if you don't get exactly the right one. I know if I was doing it I'd definitely get the wrong size. But then, I'm an idiot.

I was riding Cannondale Topstone before, the freehub was quite and pleasant, so i enjoyed it, but this one on Sonder Camino just triggers me ^_^
Maybe just need sometime to get use to it

Petrichorwheels

I'm still not sure about this.
I had a rather expensive 'dale that made this noise.
Way back turn of century - being a recent returnee to cycling I found this odd but when I asked the shop about this THEY said it was typical of high-end hubs (it was something of dale's "own" they had badged I think - not sure what.
So I reconciled myself to it and it proved to be quite useful when approaching pedestrians (slowly of course) from behind on shared paths - I didn't have to ring my bell.
Later I mentioned this to a (nice) Dr Bike bike mechanic and he mocked this clickety-click badge of honour - but I stress not mocking me.

THEN on a London downhill on an extremely busy road (lots of lorries) when about to do a right turn across said heavy traffic the thing totally seized/locked up on me.
Could have been killed.
Ever since I don't care about being cool - I'd rather trust to Mr Shimano's* nice silent things.

* Evans waterloo sportingly replaced that rear wheel for one using a Shimano XT hub for a nicely discounted price.

Athorn

Hi, I've also just purchased a sonder Camino and find the freehub noise obnoxious... Have you found a solution to this? From a google search, adding thicker grease to the hub can dampen the noise slightly..

Top Bottom