sora brake vs tiagra

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

surfdude

Veteran
how much better are tiagra brakes then sora ones . just got myself a defy 2 with everthing on it tiagra except the brakes which are sora and to be honest they dont feel that good when i compare them to my mtb bike . is it worth the cost to upgrade them and if so what ones would fit as when ive looked on a web sites they seem to be differant lenghts .

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I'd wager that there is almost no difference in braking ability assuming they're both dual pivot designs.
Firstly, they're new and will take time to bed-in a bit on the rims and the cables to free-up. They probably won't feel as powerful as MTB brakes because usually road-bikes don't need it.

Having said all that, the brake-blocks might not be that great. I have Ultegra brakes and they were hugely improved by changing to a softer brake-block compound. If you have a few quid get some Koolstop 'Salmon' brake pads for the Front brake only (The rear brake does very little do you might as well keep the existing ones).
You'll find a big improvement!

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I ride a road bike with Tektro brakes and Ultegra blocks. Went on a MTB with disks in the summer and nearly crashed fifty yards down the road the brakes were so sharp. Road brakes simply are not as good as good MTB brakes. I prefer riding my road bike though

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I thought 2010 and 2011 Defy's had Tektro?

Anyway, they aint much different. You will see a slight difference when you go 105 as the arms are stiffer. The Ultegra are even better. Campag and co equivilents will be similar in spec/stopping power.

I think its worth spending the money on brakes. I bought ultegra equivilents (shimano r650) for mine... pretty good in the wet, amazing in the dry. Only top end discs will beat them

Top Bottom