Sorry

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As folk say some cyclists need education but some drivers need education too. I avoid undertaking a HGV but the only close incidents I've had with them is when they've overtook and immediatelly left hooked. The incident that scared me was when I was in a middle of a bus lane and a HGV overtook in the normal lane only to see it was blocked and started to drift into the bus lane and there were guard railings on my left. Thankfully he stopped pretty sharply when I started banging on his cab and was quite rational when I explained why.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
I've had a quiet word with a few people I've seen do it. Pretty much 50/50 light dawning + thanks / shrugs.

albal

Guru
HLaB said:
As folk say some cyclists need education but some drivers need education too. I avoid undertaking a HGV but the only close incidents I've had with them is when they've overtook and immediatelly left hooked. The incident that scared me was when I was in a middle of a bus lane and a HGV overtook in the normal lane only to see it was blocked and started to drift into the bus lane and there were guard railings on my left. Thankfully he stopped pretty sharply when I started banging on his cab and was quite rational when I explained why.

This seems common, in my limited experience 22 yrs driving LGV.
ALL lorrys have 'idiot' mirrors fitted & have done since 1987. Trouble is few drivers use them.
They are fitted to passenger door facing downwards, ie, where a stationary cyclist should be at lights etc.(if positioned correctly)
If i approach a lorry i sit on its back doors, far enough so a car/ any vehicle cant shove me into the gutter. Common sense i call it.

PK99

Legendary Member
purplepolly said:
Yes, when the cyclist has cycled up the side of a lorry that is indeed stupid.

But often it's the other way round, HGV pulls up alongside cyclist and then turns left..

The cyclist should not stop adjacent the kerb. They should stop in the middle of the lane

User3143 said:
Granted there are idiot drivers out it, I have read and seen them as I am sure you all have, BUT this is far outweighed IMO by the amount of cyclists that are either just plain ignorant or lack the necessary skills to ride on the road - or both.

This is my experience too, from behind the wheel of a truck. I had a bloke in Cardiff a few weeks back wobbling between pedestrian railings and the left hand side of my trailer as the traffic lights turned green - all this while I was indicating left and about to move off. If I hadn't already known he was there, having overtaken him half a mile or so back, I probably wouldn't have been able to see him. On the other hand, I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of incidents I had with trucks left hooking me when I was commuting nearly 100 urban miles every week.

Origamist

Legendary Member
PK99 said:
The cyclist should not stop adjacent the kerb. They should stop in the middle of the lane

Yes, that's right. However, multiple and often narrow lanes at junctions with tight corner radii mean that HGVs/LGVs can still pull along side you, even if you take the centre the of the lane. They take this wide line in order to negotiate the corner - this puts cyclists already at the junction (to their left) in danger. In such situations, keep an eye out behind you.

Thankfully, most HGV drivers wait behind cyclists in this situation - it's just a few you need to watch out for.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
PK99 said:

We know that.

But bike lane markings are usually designed to guide you carefully up the gutter. Who can blame an occasional cyclist for following the official markings on the road?

DavieB

MIA
albal said:
This seems common, in my limited experience 22 yrs driving LGV.
ALL lorrys have 'idiot' mirrors fitted & have done since 1987. Trouble is few drivers use them.
They are fitted to passenger door facing downwards, ie, where a stationary cyclist should be at lights etc.(if positioned correctly)
If i approach a lorry i sit on its back doors, far enough so a car/ any vehicle cant shove me into the gutter. Common sense i call it.

The design on smaller LGV is a better one, Iveco and Renault fit lower door glasses leyland road runners used to have them, some utility vehicles do to. But in my experience drivers fill the footwell up with sh*t and you cant see out them.

RoundWight

I'm not sure it's really either cyclists or drivers who need education. It won't solve the problem. The vehicles are incompatible.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun

Problem is that loads of cyclists don't - for the consultation that I replied to recently I went up and took photos of the traffic and this was typical of what I have seen at this junction:

kcigxs.jpg

All cyclists were stopping on the left even the one who arrives in the ASL before the cars do and didn't have to filter to the front. Watching it even made me start to question my positioning - because I wasn't doing what every one else was and was putting myself in the middle of the lane. I have been left hooked at that junction but it was a chav who objected to my position not being in gutter and they pulled into the ASL beside me.

Norm

If a cyclist is stupid enough to ride up the inside of a lorry then its their own bloody fault, even if there is a dedicated cycle area there is no way I would ride up the inside of a lorry PERIOD!!
Whilst I agree with the sentiment and I don't even go up the inside of vans, there are far worse crimes than cycling up the inside (especially if encouraged to do so by a marked cycle lane) and none of them come with the death penalty.

TwoInTow

Does 'undertaking' mean overtaking on the LHS?

And (I'm ashamed to say here now I've been reading this) it has never occurred to me to move outside a cycle lane and plant myself in the middle of the car lane when I stop at the lights. So what's the drill with this?

Do you always move into the car lane as you approach traffic lights? What if there are a whole lot of cars stopped (no lorries) and the cycle lane is clear? Do you go right up the front, and then move past the stop line and put yourself in the middle in front of the cars? Or do you give up the advantage of the cycle lane and hang back in the middle of the car lane as soon as you can see stopped traffic ahead?

What are the safety rules here?

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty

And (I'm ashamed to say here now I've been reading this) it has never occurred to me to move outside a cycle lane and plant myself in the middle of the car lane when I stop at the lights. So what's the drill with this?

Do you always move into the car lane as you approach traffic lights? What if there are a whole lot of cars stopped (no lorries) and the cycle lane is clear? Do you go right up the front, and then move past the stop line and put yourself in the middle in front of the cars? Or do you give up the advantage of the cycle lane and hang back in the middle of the car lane as soon as you can see stopped traffic ahead?

in answer to your first question - yes

other than that it's difficult to generalise. When I'm on my own I might pass on the left or the right of the traffic and go in to the ASL if (and only if) I'm sure I've got time. Rhythm Thief's post upthread is really instructive - if you're making your way to the front at a red light, don't start what you can't finish.

If I'm in company I'll usually just take my place in the queue, moving right as the traffic slows (although I spend a good deal of time in the 'primary' position.

But, then again, I've been doing this stuff for forty years. I might have grown wiser with experience, or I might have been lucky. My suggestion would be to learn on the road - watching those cyclists of a similar speed to yourself who strike you as knowing what they're doing.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun

I don't bother trying to filter to the front if I don't know the lights or are unsure of how long they have been red. In that situation it is generally better to sit behind the last car in the queue. If you know the light sequence then it becomes easier to make the decision as whether to filter forward.

For example the set of lights where I join the main road has about a 1 minute wait between green phase for the side road - so I filter to the front unless I can see the cars stopping at the set of lights further along the road (they are in sequence but a gap before my side road changes). Another set of lights I know that unless I have reached the bit where it divides into lanes that I won't make it through the lights on that green phase, and approaching the same set of lights from the opposite direction - if I let a gap open between the car in front and myself it will change to red before I reach it. I always filter to the front at that set if I can.

As for which side to filter on ... every situation is different ... how much space is on each side, do passengers tend jump out whilst waiting at that set of lights ... how big is the gap in the middle, has one car pulled over one way to block you etc.

Tommi

IMO the fact that you have to question when you are better off ignoring the infrastructure and that it's complicated enough to not have simple answer is a very clear sign that the infrastructure is failing horribly. For some reason I doubt such substandard infrastructure for cars would last that long.

Anyway, it depends, but as a rule of thumb I move up on cars only when I'm certain that car has no chance of starting to move before I've passed it completely. In case they're indicating I'm more likely to try to move to the opposite side, or take my place in the queue behind the car. In case the car does start moving I'll fall back behind it.

If there's a clear cycle lane and the road is wide enough after the junction then I'd probably stay in the cycle lane (or more likely on the right edge of the lane given the generous lack of space) but if there's parked car or bus or other obstruction, I'd get in the middle of the lane. Basically I figure out where I want to be after the junction and position myself accordingly before it so that I'll be going in a straight predictable line. (Though I do try to be mindful of faster traffic so if I feel I can safely let a number of cars get through the junction before I have to get back into the lane, I let them.)

Top Bottom