SOSNOS 2009 - 4 Days to Go

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

coopman

Well the time is nearly upon me! 500 miles from the South of Scotland to the North of Scotland.
Not feeling at all ready in terms of fitness, I work offshore and only got home late tuesday after 2 weeks away and only done ten miles on bike since then. Planning a 20 miler tommorow then 50ish on saturday to get me ready.
I should point out I have done a bit of training prior to going offshore for 2 weeks, done about 800 miles this year, which is not bad considering I am away half the time.
The weather is truly apalling in scotland just now, hope it dries up next week.
I decided to do this for charity, and probably not pestered as much folk as I could of for donations, but not done to bady either.
wish me luck folks, will post a report when I complete.
I should point out this will be the furthest I have ever cycled continuosly on successive days, hope my legs have it in me!

Last minute pointers gratefully recieved.

ASC1951

Guru
Well, at least it's too late for further training to make any difference! You'll just have to rely on the bit between the ears, which is the most important part of any long ride anyway.

What works for me is:
- don't spend too much time obsessing about distance and speed. I divide it up mentally into a tenth done, a fifth, a quarter, a third, half (ok, I can only do easy fractions) and try to maintain the average speed of my first 20 miles.
- observe and interact with your surroundings. Look carefully at the scenery. Smell the shops/crops/whatever. Make eye contact with people. Listen to vehicles/farm machinery/planes/animals. Be part of the landscape - that way you avoid boredom and, tbh, if you just plough through any long ride with shades on, nose down and mind in neutral you might just as well sit on a turbo at home.

snorri

Legendary Member
coopman said:
The weather is truly apalling in scotland just now, hope it dries up next week.
:smile:
No complaints about the weather in my part of Scotland:smile::rolleyes::smile:
ASC1951 gives sound advice, just enjoy your surroundings and the miles will melt under your wheels.:laugh:
Good luck.:biggrin:

OP
OP
C

coopman

Thanks for the good advice chaps, I made it on schedule!
My legs are pretty tired now.
On the whole I really enjoyed it and got through it without any major disasters!
Some of the weather was awful though, and I think that was the worst thing for damping down the spirits, but when the sun comes out (or it just stops raining), fantastic!
I pushed myself further and harder than ever before and made about 1k for a wortwhile charity in the process (which my work are going to match pound for pound).
All in all a great trip.
Here are some pics for anyone thinking of heading up that way, its certainly scenic.
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=146330&id=665211082&l=b0078f812c

Top Bottom