Source for plain alloy bits?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RichardB

Slightly retro
As posted elsewhere, I have been doing a bit of a refurb on the two Raleigh Amazon bikes in the fleet. (Rigid MTBs, purchased about 1991.) I want to modify mine up to a good standard so it will be everyday-useable but still look like a 'proper bike'. However, I am struggling to find plain alloy parts. Everything I see online is black or anodised in garish colours, and is splashed with large and obvious maker's names. Specifically, I am looking for an alloy quill stem, alloy bars and an alloy seat post, all 25.4 mm, preferably without logos, or where the logo is discreet. Today I drove 120 miles there and back to visit the Tredz and Giant stores in Swansea, in the hope that I could examine some kit in person and make a purchase. No luck! Nothing in store, and no guarantee that the items on the website are exactly as they look in the pics. So I came home empty-handed.

Can anyone direct me to a source for plain, simple polished alloy bits? I'd prefer to inspect personally, but living down in West Wales most decent shops are a long way away. I'd be happy to buy online if recommended by any of you good folks here.

Last edited:

S-Express

Should have stopped at Hobbs in Carmarthen - you'd probably have got everything you needed there.

U

User169

Check out Nitto stuff - available from hubjub or velo vitality.

Hopefully, some new Nitto bars will be waiting for me when I get home this evening.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
OP
OP
RichardB

RichardB

Slightly retro
Should have stopped at Hobbs in Carmarthen - you'd probably have got everything you needed there.

Duh! I never thought of looking there :smile: Thanks - have a couple of days off this week, so may make the trip. 30 miles away - round here, that's next door.

Check out Nitto stuff - available from hubjub or velo vitality.

Noted, thanks.

ETC do a plain alloy seatpost (as well as one with a huge ETC logo :rolleyes: ). Oxford Products do plain alloy bars, seatposts and MTB stems in a few shapes. Raleigh still do plain alloy stems, although adjustable rather than classic MTB shape (which they only do in black coating now).

Great, thanks.

eBay for stuff like this.

Stem: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400218564660

Bars: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400271591836

Seatpost: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161053764619

One of the advantages of cheap alloy parts (e.g. System EX) is that any logos will often come off with a very light rub with wet and dry, leaving almost no marks.

I'd read online comments about the huge ETC logon (absent in the online description), which is why I wanted to see the goods first. I thought I might have to get busy with the 1200 grit - happy to do that if necessary, but would prefer not to :smile:

Thank you all for the info and links. I've got a lot to go at there. Good thing I have a couple of days leave this week. You're lovely people, cheers.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'd read online comments about the huge ETC logon (absent in the online description), which is why I wanted to see the goods first. I thought I might have to get busy with the 1200 grit - happy to do that if necessary, but would prefer not to :smile:
Yeah, I think ETC goofed when they started doing that. They're fairly basic products and one of the attractive features used to be the lack of huge logos.

I've a couple of sets of Oxford bars and one Raleigh stem and none have any logos that I've noticed (slightly surprising given Raleigh's famous chainrings but maybe the logo has enough prestige with their fans to cost extra now)... of course, they might have changed their habits since, so you're wise to want to check.

Top Bottom