South Wales /Bristol/Gloucsetershire Sportives

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I have never taken part in an organized sportive and would like to have a go.

Can anyone provide me with dates or web links to any 2010 events. I cant do the Dragon ride unfortunately due to work commitment.

As I work 3 out of 5 weekends I may be lucky to find one I can do but fingers crossed.I would ideally like to do between 50 and 100 mile rides but anything considererd.

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

I have never taken part in an organized sportive and would like to have a go.

Can anyone provide me with dates or web links to any 2010 events. I cant do the Dragon ride unfortunately due to work commitment.

As I work 3 out of 5 weekends I may be lucky to find one I can do but fingers crossed.I would ideally like to do between 50 and 100 mile rides but anything considererd.

Philip Whiteman

Über Member
I have ridden the Forest of Dean Classic held in May. Nice route but the is really poor value for money (empty feed stations, rubbish time systems, etc, etc). The Dragon Ride held in June has a good reputation.

A worthwhile event, albeit an audax, is The Cambrian which starts from Leominster on 10th April, another is the Cheltenham Flyer in March.

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

Thanks for the info.i would like to do the Dagon but need to get time off work sorted first.Also tempted by the Sunrise/snowdrop Audax.

515mm

Come and do the Merlin Ride out of the Botanical Gardens, Nantgaredig in July with Lardyboy, Fairweather, Tall Paul, Allda Pies and me! Nice, friendly, family feel to it. 50, 75 and 112 miles organised by the County Cycles mob.

Best memory of last year's - when a sportive virgin (Dad of 3, about 45yrs old, well nourished) took ages over the 50miler. His wife and kids were dead worried about him, hadn't seen him for hours. Peter (one of the organisers) was asked to look for him, but he could only report back a couple of sightings, nowt recent.
Tension building, wife very worried now, youngest nipper a bit tearful - just then - lo and behold! - here comes Daddy over the finish line. Hurrah! Wife and kids burst into tears, smothering a very surprised Dad with hugs and kisses and we all fill up as well.:smile: A wonderful moment.

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

515mm said:
Come and do the Merlin Ride out of the Botanical Gardens, Nantgaredig in July with Lardyboy, Fairweather, Tall Paul, Allda Pies and me! Nice, friendly, family feel to it. 50, 75 and 112 miles organised by the County Cycles mob.

Best memory of last year's - when a sportive virgin (Dad of 3, about 45yrs old, well nourished) took ages over the 50miler. His wife and kids were dead worried about him, hadn't seen him for hours. Peter (one of the organisers) was asked to look for him, but he could only report back a couple of sightings, nowt recent.
Tension building, wife very worried now, youngest nipper a bit tearful - just then - lo and behold! - here comes Daddy over the finish line. Hurrah! Wife and kids burst into tears, smothering a very surprised Dad with hugs and kisses and we all fill up as well.:tongue: A wonderful moment.

The guy probably lost count of the time and had a few to many felinfoels in the pub:smile:

Are you guys doing the 112 miler or one of the shorter rides?

De Sisti

Veteran
Philip Whiteman said:
I have ridden the Forest of Dean Classic held in May. Nice route but the is really poor value for money (empty feed stations, rubbish time systems, etc, etc). The Dragon Ride held in June has a good reputation.

A worthwhile event, albeit an audax, is The Cambrian which starts from Leominster on 10th April, another is the Cheltenham Flyer in March.

Don't forget the Cotswold Corker.

Banjo said:
The guy probably lost count of the time and had a few to many felinfoels in the pub:smile:

Most of us will plan to do the 50 or 75 milers Banjo. I know 515 is doing the 112 as he plans to do the etape next year and he needs to build up his mileage.

Who knows some of us might actually join him if we're fit mad enough on the day as you can if my memory is right? :smile:

While I remember there's the daffodil ride in Pembrey on 28th February. 515, Alldapies and myself should be in attendance.

Banjo said:

Most of us will plan to do the 50 or 75 milers Banjo. I know 515 is doing the 112 as he plans to do the etape next year and he needs to build up his mileage.

Who knows some of us might actually join him if we're fit mad enough on the day as you can if my memory is right? :biggrin:

While I remember there's the daffodil ride in Pembrey on 28th February. 515, Alldapies and myself should be in attendance.

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

I entered over the phone this morning.You chose which route U do on the day when signing on.I intend doing the 104 mile Merlin but if its hot on the day I may opt for the 70 miler.

hope to meet some of you on the day.My number is 159.

robgul

Legendary Member
In Warwickshire (although it does enter Gloucestershire!) there's the Shakespeare 100 (100 miles or 100 km) on Sunday 12 September 2010. Online entry is open now (and they're coming fast) at www.shakespeare100.org.uk

Rob

515mm

Banjo said:
I entered over the phone this morning.You chose which route U do on the day when signing on.I intend doing the 104 mile Merlin but if its hot on the day I may opt for the 70 miler.

hope to meet some of you on the day.My number is 159.

I think our numbers run 003 004 005 and 006. :sad:

Fairweather was VERY upset when he found out his accustomed 001 number had been already taken. Oh yes. :biggrin:

I'll see you there Mwsh! On the 104, with a bit of luck. Remember to eat and drink plenty of carbs from the start. The hills at Brynamman before the Black Mountain take a lot out of you.

Top Bottom