Southampton cyclists beware! (pavements)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Bollo its a frustration I share with you. I have started thinking that the only way people will stop doing that stuff (Bursledon road is a nasty place for RLJs by drivers, and plenty of mobile phone use all over though not as much as I have seen in other towns).. is for the offender's cars to be daubbed with a "chaulk outline" of a victim of road death painted onto their windscreen and to be removed at their cost... :ohmy:

Not that I would do it, I wouldnt want to be caught. :laugh: I have certainly fantisised about it though.

OP
OP
Riverman

Riverman

Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by marinyork
The road looks wide and a beautiful piece of tarmac, I can't see any need to cycle on the pavement. If the pavement is used heavily by peds then that's great it's what they are there for. I get suspicious of these campaigns though elsewhere where it's somehow all right for a car to drive/park on a pavement/pedestrian area and not a bicycle.

Parts of Shirley road and up further where it becomes Shirley High street were in need of resurfacing for nearly 20 years. Finally last year the funds came about and its now a loverly road to ride on, and pretty wide through most of it. Its one of the few places where I can do nearly 25mph on a slight incline and feel safe doing it inside the city.
And the pavement are not that old either. There is plenty of space for a cycle lane on at least one side of the road. When the redeveloped the pavements not so long ago, they should have done something for the cyclists.

It needs a cycle lane because it's a very busy stretch of road. Unfortunately a lot of motorists get pissed off at cyclists on it because there lots of parked cars and loads of narrow bits with traffic islands

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Riverman said:
And the pavement are not that old either. There is plenty of space for a cycle lane on at least one side of the road. When the redeveloped the pavements not so long ago, they should have done something for the cyclists.

It needs a cycle lane because it's a very busy stretch of road. Unfortunately a lot of motorists get pissed off at cyclists on it because there lots of parked cars and loads of narrow bits with traffic islands

No. They cant. There are large sections of pavement owned or rented by the shops all the way from the osbourne pub right up to Iceland. Contact the southampton CC cycling officer he'll tell you. It'd be stop start cyclepaths and we all hate those with a passion.

montage

God Almighty
It isn't difficult to stop people cycling on the pavements.... you know on zebra crossings there is the knobbly pavement? (I think it is for the benefit of the blind) ...cover all of the pavements in this and then riding on it would become hellish!

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I live just north of Southampton and I would say that 85% of cyclist be it teenage kids and adults ride on the pavements, why I don't know, it's not like we have fast moving traffic and as far as I know there has only been one death in the last 30 years.
I did once ask a kid why he rode on the pavement he replyed "it's too dangerous to ride on the road" I asked him who told you that "my mum" does she ride a bike "no".....I give up !!!

OP
OP
Riverman

Riverman

Guru
I don't agree either with people cycling on the pavements.

Although Shirley is quite busy I just feel that two factors make this part safer. 1) The pavements are very wide, and 2) the wideness of the pavements mean pedestrians tend to assume there will be cyclists.

And indeed there are alot of cyclists riding on those pavements. I doubt very much such campaigns by the police will have much effect.

I think several people may be caught out who simply cycle a short distance on the pavement to park their bikes but then I understand that is a cost worth bearing to prevent people being injured by more careless cyclists.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
montage said:
It isn't difficult to stop people cycling on the pavements.... you know on zebra crossings there is the knobbly pavement? (I think it is for the benefit of the blind) ...cover all of the pavements in this and then riding on it would become hellish!

Or cobbles. :angry:

numbnuts said:
I live just north of Southampton and I would say that 85% of cyclist be it teenage kids and adults ride on the pavements, why I don't know, it's not like we have fast moving traffic and as far as I know there has only been one death in the last 30 years.
I did once ask a kid why he rode on the pavement he replyed "it's too dangerous to ride on the road" I asked him who told you that "my mum" does she ride a bike "no".....I give up !!!

The deaths that have occured have mostly been where there is very fast moving traffic or drink and drug use.

snorri

Legendary Member
The traffic island on the left of the picture creates pinch points, a recognised hazard for cyclists. Cyclists might have been encouraged off the pavements if bypasses had been installed, but I suppose a big sign is a more conspicuous way of pleasing the general populace.:sad:

OP
OP
Riverman

Riverman

Guru
There are quite a few of those traffic islands, I'll count them next time I'm there.

Incidently, someone took the sign down and whilst I was looking at for it five kids rode past on bikes.

I guess they didn't see the sign. :sad:

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Riverman said:
There are quite a few of those traffic islands, I'll count them next time I'm there.

Incidently, someone took the sign down and whilst I was looking for it five kids rode past on bikes. :sad:

LOL yeah day after they went up I walked past the one outside the card shop up the top and a small group of kids did the same. Was about 7.30am, couldnt beleive they'd got up that early. :ohmy:

Actually I find those islands ok most of the time. Sometimes a car will barge through (and I have a couple of examples up on youtube of this) but theres usually JUST enough room to take evasive action - if not its up on the pavement for a second and I've seen people do that.

Arch

Married to Night Train
montage said:

Nice idea, but a bit unfair on wheelchair users, and kids in prams. I know my nephew tolerates the Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr bit, (and my occasional cackhanded attempts to get the pushchair up a kerb), but if it went on all the time, he'd probably be sick!

Top Bottom