Spamming yourself

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Phoebus

ivancarlos said:
Ive noticed something strange with my yahoo webmail account. I've started receiving spam mail, nothing new there except that the sender is my own account! How does this happen? Has my account been cloned in some way? :biggrin:
Chances are you've probably got a trojan that quickly needs removing.

longers

Legendary Member
I've had a couple of those and got a very good explanation of how it happens from the good people on here.

Forgot the answer but it probably involves scheming bastards.

Who the mail comes from is easily spoofed i.e. it says you but it's actually someone in Russia (or anywhere really) who's spoofed your e-mail as the sender. It's quite commonly done.

It doesn't mean that your PC has a trojan but it's possible. Download avg free if you don't already have anti-virus software and do a scan.

Carwash

Señor Member
Maz said:
You need to run some freeware like Spybot and clean up your PC pronto!

Probably not. Mail headers are trivial to fake. Most of the spam you get will not have originated at the address it claims. Lots of spambots are lazy, and just give the recipient's address as the return address. Just one of those things.

Carwash said:
Probably not. Mail headers are trivial to fake. Most of the spam you get will not have originated at the address it claims. Lots of spambots are lazy, and just give the recipient's address as the return address. Just one of those things.
I shall cling to these wise words, seeing as I had one of those self-spams in my spam-filter the other day.

Carwash

Señor Member
Chuffy said:
I shall cling to these wise words, seeing as I had one of those self-spams in my spam-filter the other day.

If you know that you never, ever, send email to yourself, you could set up a filter to automatically bin any incoming mail claiming to be from your address as being obviously spam.

longers

Legendary Member
I take it you have stopped talking to yourself?

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I tried to google something last week -

it referred me to my own post on here :smile::ohmy::ohmy: some time ago, asking what the terminology meant - it was a very "odd/rude" phrase that I had seen on a vehicle. Ever decreasing circles. ;):biggrin:

Top Bottom