Sparta MET

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The Sparta Met, Nice idea the execution has failed a bit.
here is an link to a random one: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/592635808484588/

The main issue with these is that for some strange reason they where thinking ''hey what a great idea to put an plastic wheel on the back where most of the weight from engine, rider and petrol is!'' With as result that these are fine to ride if they ride, i owned think 3/4 of them, all of them retired by an broken rear wheel.

Now the reason for this topic is, i was curious as what would this be classed in the uk legally. I know solex-es are considered motorverhicles but they are much more powerfull, they are considered moterverhicles in most countries so far as i'm aware. But the Sparta Met is in the Netherlands classed as bicycle with engine help, and in belgium something similar.. (in both cases a special class for slow(up to 25km/h) verhicles with much lower demands in terms of insurance and so on.
But i'm a bit puzzled by the uk rules it seems everything is a motor vehicle as long as it has an engine? with an new ruleset created for ebikes?

Good morning

In the UK there is a Moped and there has been for a long time. anything with an engine up to 50cc, pedals and a max speed of 30mph which went down to 28mph to bring it in line with 45km/h used elsewhere. These require a driving licence, a CBT test, insurance and a helmet.

I can't see any reason why the Sparta Met wouldn't be a moped.:smile:

Although the UK market has evolved and most moped now look like small motor bikes or scooters in the 1970s many mopeds looked like a heavily build bike with a mid mounted engine. For example a search for a Puch maxi moped shows what they were supposed to to be.

As far as I am aware there is legally nothing smaller/less restrictive than a moped for a bicycle with an internal combustion engine.

Bye

Ian

Cycleops

Legendary Member
BSA had a neat solution to this in the fifties, the Winged Wheel. You simply bought the wheel complete with motor and swapped it with the existing. Or you could buy it as a complete bike for about double the price. Still needed a helmet etc.

Attachments

• IMG_6964.jpg
    IMG_6964.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 7
  • bsa_54.jpg
    bsa_54.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 7
OP
OP
dutchguylivingintheuk

dutchguylivingintheuk

Über Member
BSA had a neat solution to this in the fifties, the Winged Wheel. You simply bought the wheel complete with motor and swapped it with the existing. Or you could buy it as a complete bike for about double the price. Still needed a helmet etc.
Yes seen one advertised some time ago, it was'nt 26£ anymore lol, but it does looks like a more robust soluttion then the plastic wheel. (which is a shame really they where very comfortable, it's just not so nice to needing to replace your rear wheel after every pothole)
But to be fair i think and ebike kit is more economical these days.

Top Bottom