spd/cleats - scary

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gillelive

Still off my bike at the moment, hamstring tendon problem! I have my new sirrus already to go after my crosstrail was stolen a little while back. All I seem to be doing at the moment is buying more gear off the net, just wish I could use it. The way I am going it will be winter again before my leg sorts its self out - ever the optomist!

Anyway, I decided to order some spds and cleats, they arrived today and I spent some time after work in the shed fitting them - easy job.

I am now crapping myself awaiting my first commute! Never used these pedals before and just sitting clipped in in the shed was scary :eek: I think I need to loosen the tension a bit, it felt a bit tough clipping in and out.

Soon as my leg improves think it's a trip to the local park, nice quiet spot to practice for an hour or so, please tell me I will get used to it....

Anyway, if I find it's not for me I will change back to flats - only about £20 wasted

PoweredByVeg

Über Member
Going to the park is a good idea, wish I'd practised on grass first time I used my SPD-SL's, I've now got scratched pedals :sad:

There's a few vids on youtube

Just remember to unclip in plenty of time, I thought I could just stop and unclip in one fluid movement but it didn't really happen like that :whistle:

You'll get the hang of them in no time :thumbsup:

Mad at urage

Generally the pedals seem to be shipped with the tension in the clip wound way up high. Loosen them off equally and get used to them. Once you are used to riding with them, tighten them up equally half a turn (usually two clicks) at a time until you are 'comfortably secure'. Like anything, they are an assistance that takes getting used to.

Bicycle

No real need to go to the park, I think. It's fine to do so, but the road is just as good as a learning ground.

You will very quickly become accustomed to twisting your foot out as you come to a stop.

Your first real test will be unclipping after a long period of uninterrupted pedalling. Watch out for that moment...

For your first few rides you need to mutter 'unclip, unclip' to yourself as you approach junctions or traffic. You will do this and you will quickly learn to unclip, although you might sound odd to passers-by.

For the first few rides you may also find yourself looking down to clip in. This will pass quickly - it's the bit I found scariest...

I forgot to unclip only once, after riding clipless for many weeks. The sudden shock of finding one's foot immobile seems to frazzle the senses, so you may enjoy a comedy moment. There won't be a second.

I got all my children (none of whom are particularly serious riders) into clipless pedals at about 11 or 12 years of age.

None has looked back and they all much prefer clipless on any ride further than the local shops.

The youngest (11) still goes through an unclipping routine about 100 yards before he needs to, but that will pass.

Throw yourself into it and enjoy the benefits of having your feet connected to the crank.

:o)

OP
OP
gillelive

gillelive

thanks people, have adjusted the tension and have spent about 20 mins clipping in and out in the garden, my fear is on the work commute on a busy road that I just forget that I am attached to the pedals and end up like a dick in the middle of the road or worse! I think I am just worrying too much but I do want to give clippless a go

JonnyBlade

Live to Ride
thanks people, have adjusted the tension and have spent about 20 mins clipping in and out in the garden, my fear is on the work commute on a busy road that I just forget that I am attached to the pedals and end up like a dick in the middle of the road or worse! I think I am just worrying too much but I do want to give clippless a go

Looking a dick is part of the experience. I've put a smile on the faces o dozens of drivers and passers by. When you forget to unclip, it really is a slow motion affair
blush.gif

Jezston

Über Member
Relax.

When I eventually got round to going clipless, I'd heard tons of horror stories off here and elsewhere that had put me off about 'clipless moments', and I was incredibly nervous about even trying it out.

I was wrong to be so worried.

I have never had a 'clipless moment'. Just remember to unclip before you stop.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've had a few clipless moments over the years.

In the early days, they were caused by inexperience and/or forgetfulness.

Once unclipping became second nature, all subsequent problems were due to being unable to unclip in time. Once was due to cleat bolts coming loose. Other times were on steep hills when I waited until I had actually come to a standstill before trying to unclip - that is not a good idea!

I now have my SPD release tensions set to minimum and if I think I won't get up a climb, I jump off before I fall off! (It's rare, but it does happen.)

I've never had a problem with my feet accidentally unclipping on road rides. It has happened a a couple of times on my MTB but I'd rather that, than falling on a boulder-strewn descent, still attached to the bike!

valetillidye

you'll be fine buddy

i moved to clips over 2 years ago and i've never even come close to falling off

just remember to twist and you'll be fine

Rando

Veteran
Well today was my first time out on my new road bike and clipless......did 35 miles and all was fine. Really concentrated on clipping out early when approaching a junction and seem to get clipped in again relative trouble free. Felt so much better though being attached to the pedals and getting up the hills was certainly easier.

OP
OP
gillelive

gillelive

give the new bike, pedals and injured leg a go today, managed 5 miles, leg still playing up a bit but the pedals are a doddle, no problems clipping in and out and I felt safe........just need to get me leg sorted!!

If there's one thing about SPDs I'd recommend is that you must check those cleat bolts regularly for tightness. As ColinJ has experienced, you will not get unclipped with your shoe hanging by those bolts (you won't get enough purchase).

Bill

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
If you are using Shimano SPD pedals try Shimano SM-SH56 multi release cleats. They are way easier to get out of and you can get out by pulling your foot upwards if you panic, they also unclip easier the regular way. I use these mainly because I have had major surgery on my left knee and the twisting to get out of regular cleats was slightly uncomfortable. With these cleats when I nearly had a clipless moment as I forgot I was using clipless pedals, my immediate reaction was to pull my foot upwards, and I simply unclipped and put my foot on the ground. With normal cleats I am sure I would of fallen off. I have read some reviews about people unclipping when they do not want to with these cleats. But I have never had any issues with this, although I only use them on road bikes. I have also read that these cleats are better if you are in an accident as you will leave the bike easier. Just a thought as I think they are great cleats, and I cannot tell any difference in performance from the regular cleats that came with my pedals.

Top Bottom