SPD float? Is it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Nothing grabs folk's attention to a thread like awkward use of English, apart from perhaps the promise of partial nudity or a pair of incorrectly installed forks...

I've been using MTB SPD pedals for a few weeks now and (having never tried any other type of clipless pedals) never really understood what folk mean by 'float'. I mean I understand the principle but was lacking the experience to make intelligent comment (much like most posts in current affairs), until yesterday...

All my pedals are second hand, so at the weekend I lubed the springs on them and yesterday each time I went for a ride my feet felt like they were about to slip off the pedals like they would on flat (non-clippy) pedals covered in lard (again, analogy based on imagination, not experience). My feet don't come unclipped so I've kinda got used to it.

So my question is 'is this float'?

And if this post has given you no pleasure I'd like to try and make amends by including this photo of a kitten:

cute-kitty-frog2.jpg

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Float is how much your feet rotate (twist) in the pedals.

Jdratcliffe

can you not get "limited" and "no" float pedals / cleats in certain types ( i use MTB SPD's as harder wearing for the commute and yes they do float or rotate a bit you can increase the tension to tighten them but do so when your comfortable as it makes the "clip" in and out harder) so dont quote me, but sure i heard/read something about this when i ws looking at road specific cleats/pedals

**edit** found them - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-spd-sl-floating-or-non-floating-cleats/

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
can you not get "limited" and "no" float pedals / cleats in certain types ( i use MTB SPD's as harder wearing for the commute) so dont quote me, but sure i heard/read something about this when i ws looking at road specific cleats/pedals

It explains all about float in the Clipless FAQ here

Top Bottom