SPD Road shoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

outlash

also available in orange
No doubt some road shoes are better suited to SPDs than others

I think what's a better way of looking at it is 'some road shoes are better suited for walking than others', ie: shoes with recessed cleats. I don't see how SPD's are any worse to walk in than any other system which is what you said in your first post. If the OP wants to walk about in comfort then there's plenty of MTB/touring shoes with the recessed cleat fitting, if not then there's road shoes without that facility. That's the beauty of the SPD system IMO.

Tony.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I think what's a better way of looking at it is 'some road shoes are better suited for walking than others', ie: shoes with recessed cleats. I don't see how SPD's are any worse to walk in than any other system which is what you said in your first post. If the OP wants to walk about in comfort then there's plenty of MTB/touring shoes with the recessed cleat fitting, if not then there's road shoes without that facility. That's the beauty of the SPD system IMO.

Tony.
The fact remains that SPD cleats on road shoes are exposed- like all the road cleats would be- but with a considerably smaller contact area, higher wear than with recessed cleats, and no way of covering the cleat when you want to walk. So, yes, SPDs will be harder to walk in than other pedal systems in those circumstances. To some that will be a compromise worth making.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Try the Specialized BG Sport Touring shoe, sounds like it would fit the bill. Fairly stiff & nice recessed cleat. I use mine on my tourer & during winter. Still have the spds on the winter bike & did 63 miles today very comfy :okay:

Mummy3monkeys

I am normally a conservative buyer, end up with nothing rather than what I was looking for. I went into Cycles UK to see what style/size of shoe would fit. They had black, Specialized, in my size at half price. The chap was really helpful, I bought both shoes and pedals for the original price of shoes. So impulsive, but glad I did. Try your local store, you could be surprised.

Top Bottom