SPD's Rattling are they Knackered?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Edge705

Both my double sided spd pedals have play in them the play is not between the crank arm and the spindle but between the spindle and the pedal itself Ive got a spare pair but Im wondering if the ones I have can be repaired / tightened up or are they for the bin?

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
You can, but the ease of doing depends on your pedals. The lower end ones need a shimano tool (money-probs more money than they cost) the higher end ones you can fettle with normal workshop tools- sockets and the like. Go figure.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
What Dan says. XT's are dead easy to service. So much so I leave the axel on the crank, undo the locknut, and the whole things comes off. Quick tweak (nut/locknut type tensioning) bit of grease and on they go for another year. The cheaper ones usually need a specially shaped locknut tool - usually plastic and crap.

the snail

Guru
One of my shimano m324s came loose, I managed to adjust it by wedging a screwdriver against the cone and tightening the locknut with a socket, it's been fine since. The shimano tool costs £65 :ohmy::cursing:

OP
OP
Edge705

Edge705

Many thanks for the ideas guys turned out they could have been adjustable with just deep sockets but in the end I decided to change them However in doing so I found the left sided pedal had decided to weld itselt to the crank arm could not budge it for love nor money in the end had to angle grind the spindle and use a socket on the pedal nut

Cheers

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
... had decided to weld itselt to the crank arm could not budge it for love nor money in the end had to angle grind the spindle and use a socket on the pedal nut

I'm sure this had already occurred to you, but grease the threads on the next set, and regrease every year or so.

Top Bottom