SPDs - renovate or chuck?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

3narf

For whom the bell dings
Shalom

My SPDs have seen better days after 5000 miles and about 9 years. They still work fine but they're clicky/creaky/noisy.

As I HATE throwing anything away I was considering replacing the spindles/bearings or whatever but will I end up wasting money and time? Rebuilt stuff never really seems to last as long as original, does it?

Still, I'd quite like to fit some titanium spindles...

Thx

grumpyoldgit

Über Member
If you are going to the trouble & expense of Ti spindles,start with new pedals.If you want some new steel spindles,I am sure I have at least one set you can have.

OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
Thanks; if I'm changing the spindles do I need bearings as well, or is it a spindle kit that includes bearings?

Ta

02GF74

Über Member
depending on what is worh; the race sruface on the spindle would be worn, whcih is fixable as you say by fitting new spindles but it is likley that the race in the pedals is worn too, not easiy replaceable. pedals i've come across have bearings at one and a plain bush at the other so if the bush has gon, they are toast (I donj't have any means to make and fit a new bush)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If the bearings aren't rough, just service them. Absolute doddle. Change the cleats and give the retaining mechanism a good clean and WD40/GT85 it.

Top Bottom