speaker systems for home entertainment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
I too am in the land of the remotes:
1 for the digibox
1 for the TV
1 for the DVD/HDD
1 for the Surround Sound system
1 for the PS3.

The PS3 goes via Optical Out to the Surround Sound System and the DVD plugs into there too. The TV just has its own speakers with the logic being that if there's anything that would be much better via the Surround Sound then we view it via the DVD player on channel AV2 which connects to the Digibox.

So, when recently being forced to endure watching the Take That concert we had the TV remote, DVD, Digibox and Surround Sound remote just to be able to get decent quality sound... shame about some of the songs though!!! :biggrin::biggrin:

It's also a bit of a pain having to play all sound from the PS3 via the Surround Sound (even for games) but it saves any b*ggering about when I come to play Blu Rays (i.e. don't have to navigate menus to set it to output via a different method).

domtyler said:
I looked into switching from stereo to surround sound when I recently upgraded all my kit, the problem is I would have needed to have shelled out about five grand to get anything like the sound quality I already had in my Primare amp and large floor standing B&W speakers so decided to stick with what I had.

I ditched the CD player though and now stream all my music through the PS3.

assuming you also had a very nice cd player, why ditch it, surely you lose most of the quality you get from the other components (especially if streaming compressed files), id love a primare, me...........

i had surround years ago, back in the pro logic days, ditched it when i moved, surround is okay for movies, but pretty shoot for anything else...- people will argue that im wrong and its the best thing ever, but they just dont know shite!! - for music, 2 ears, 2 speakers, you dont get many bands that can sing from behind you as well as in front of you...- and theres not many background noises in a modern recording studio..

Mr Pig

dantheman said:
i had surround years ago, ditched it, surround is okay for movies, but pretty shoot for anything else..

I agree with you. I've never heard a surround system that played music properly. But then I'm not convinced the CDs do either! ;0)

Mr Pig said:
I agree with you. I've never heard a surround system that played music properly. But then I'm not convinced the CDs do either! ;0)

most people of my age dont realise you can still buy records, some of them dont even know what they are!!!!!

personally, i dont think either cd, or vinyl is better than the other, i have a record deck in the loft now, cd's are less hassle, and more child friendly, they do sound different, with positives in different area's. a great recording, on an unscratched record, on a great record deck can be unbeatable, but its a lot of hassle...

domtyler

Über Member
dantheman said:
assuming you also had a very nice cd player, why ditch it, surely you lose most of the quality you get from the other components (especially if streaming compressed files), id love a primare, me...........

Yeah, I got fed up with finding all my CD's being used as toys so I solved the problem by sticking them all up in the attic until the front room ceases being a play room! :blush::ohmy:

domtyler

Über Member
Personally I think that surround sound is a bit of a gimmick, especially because movies sound absolutely fantastic in stereo anyway.

domtyler said:
Personally I think that surround sound is a bit of a gimmick, especially because movies sound absolutely fantastic in stereo anyway.

defo, even my (rather modest, by your standard i think) stereo knocks the pants off most peoples "home cinema" systems. -less gimmicks, more quality...

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
domtyler said:
My surround sound system is not (by any means) an expensive one, but it makes a tonne of difference with the subwoofer and the rear speakers set up, so much better than simple stereo sound for films.

Saving Private Ryan - the first sequence to the beach is horrifyingly real with the surround sound pumped up.

Apollo 13 - Oh. My. God. Is the rocket actually in my lounge??

It does make a huge difference to films, but I agree, for simple music listening it sounds somehow hollow and too echoey no matter what setting it is on that says it is for 'music'.

yello

So, hypothetical question, if you had a budget say of £2500 for a combined music/dvd/tv system (not home cinema) what sort of kit might you be looking at... hypothetical of course :blush:

I've loads of CDs and vinyl and have considered loading them all to hard disk and streaming (convenience sake really) but not convinced of it as a route to go.

yello said:
So, hypothetical question, if you had a budget say of £2500 for a combined music/dvd/tv system (not home cinema) what sort of kit might you be looking at... hypothetical of course :blush:

I've loads of CDs and vinyl and have considered loading them all to hard disk and streaming (convenience sake really) but not convinced of it as a route to go.

its a very personal field.. assuming this is for the tv and dvd player as well, id spend about 900 on a tv, 100 on dvd player (or stretch it a bit for a ps3, and hence blu-ray) and about 1500 on stereo system(cd, amp, speakers). brands etc personal preference, listen before you buy..

mr Mag00

rising member

then do what i do play music through the 2 speaker setting on my amp and games and films through surround sound.

Yeah, I got fed up with finding all my CD's being used as toys so I solved the problem by sticking them all up in the attic until the front room ceases being a play room!
why deny yourself because of the children, teach them not to play with your things and to respect other peoples property.

as sh4rkybloke says it makes a huge difference and may i add to those two movies Alien 2 when the laser cuts open the doors and scans the ship is amazing you can feel the sounds pass through the room. surround sound adds loads to the movie experience, atmospheric sounds and background noise.

mr Mag00

rising member
computer speakers do tend to be quite powerful for their size but most peoples computers are in smaller rooms than lounge/livingrooms but they will be better than using the tv speakers.

Top Bottom