Specialized Dolce 24 or something else?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TChipperfield

Well as the title kind of says should I be getting Mrs Chipperfield a Specialized Dolce 24 (2010) seen here or is there something better in that price range?

This will be her first proper road bike, it will be used to get from A to B and also for weekends out and about for fun around 30 to 40 miles.

Nowhere we go at the moment is particularly hilly (that's Essex for you) but would be nice if this could last her a couple of years at least.

At the moment she has a Bianchi Milano Parco 3 (Ladies) found here, which means she is sloooooow and struggles on slight hills.

Any suggestions, pro's, con's greatly received. :tongue:

Norm

Lovely bike, IMO, some good thought gone into changing the geometry to make a bike for females and a fairly decent set of components.

Sarahpink and Tats6 have both bought one in the last few weeks, IIRC. You might want to drop them a PM to get some feedback if they don't see / reply here.

sarahpink

hey, I have just got this bike had it just over 2 weeks and was my first road bike too, Im a fairly small frame and the 51cm fitted me perfectly. I find it really good on the hills, i live in a fairly hilly area and can do hills no problem. it also has brake levers on the handle bars as well as where the gear levers if your nervous about the drop bar controls um forgive my non technical terms here:laugh: the saddle was at first a little hard but It only took me a matter of days to get used to it. I really love this bike, not just because its pretty lovely to ride and pretty fast too, um learnt my lesson in that one hehe any more questions please feel free to ask

ChristinaJL

I have a specialized dolce elite, next model up or so, I believe. I've had it over 2 years now and have to say, it's a lovely bike. I've had nothing go wrong with it. It handles very well, is light and pretty good at hill climbing. :biggrin:

ETA - I changed the saddle on it to a brooks B17 ladies, as I didn't get on with the cutout saddle it came with, but plenty of people like these saddles.

gavintc

Guru
You do not necessarily need to get a female specific bike for her. The female geometry has a shorter reach than the equivalant 'male' model. Not all women are built with long legs and shorter torsos. I would suggest you look at some of the normal bikes as well as the female ones to identify whether she needs a female frame.

If she can fit a normal frame, it widens your options considerably.

OP
OP
TChipperfield

TChipperfield

Thank you everyone for info and opinions, a great help! ;)

Next step is to get down the LBS and see what feels right for her. Also assuming its going to be easier to sell a standard bike as opposed to a female specific bike once she wants something faster/better.

Top Bottom