Specialized S-WORK Recon / Recon Lace Rubber Durability?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cool_hand

Über Member
Anyone have have experience with or have owned S-WORKS Recon Shoes? Lace or BOA version.
I've seen a few customer reviews stating that the rubber sole on them wears out really quickly.
Just wondering if this is true because the rubber sole parts can't be replaced.

Would people really bother leaving fake reviews? It's not like a rival would automatically get the business.

Pricey shoes. I guess all rubber grips wear out but it's more bearable on cheaper shoes.

I think my PX shoes were under £50 and have lasted a few years already. I'm not sure what I'd get from shoes 6 times the price.

Sallar55

Veteran
Have Lake MTB shoes with soft rubber pads, it wears but that's because its non slip and grips well on rocks. Did Sidi not have sole replacement pads for the Dragon MTB shoes. If I need new shoes will check if the sole pads are replaceable.

OP
OP
cool_hand

cool_hand

Über Member
Thanks for all the replies.
I ended up keeping the S-WORKS Recon Laced, after trying and returning many different brands (Rapha, GIRO, QUOC and Specialized) they were easily the most comfortable and best fitting shoes I have so far found. They appear to use 2 rubber compounds on the sole parts, a softer grippy rubber at the front and back and a harder rubber for the part that surrounds the cleat. It's not clear which of these rubbers may have caused an issue for the couple of reviews I saw that stated the rubber wore down quickly. No I don't believe people leave fake reviews but different people have different experiences with the same product and the wear issue wouldn't show itself immediately so not clear if this was isolated or common. And FYI the Recons didn't cost 6 times the price of a pair PX; they were however considerably better quality and better fitting than anything else I tried and they made me look 'cool' :becool:
The only SPD shoes I'm aware of that have replaceable sole parts are BONT but they're currently outside of my budget.

Top Bottom