Speedplays? Hmmm...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MajorMantra

Yes, it's another pedal thread. Yes, I've read the old ones but hey, there's nothing like fresh angst.:laugh:

I need some road pedals (and shoes actually) for the lovely lump of carbon that's waiting for me back in Edinburgh. I had been thinking of the most basic SPD-SLs for about £34 but then I started doing n+1 calculations, spurred by the gift of some money from the parents. My thought process went something like:

1. Hmmm, the cheapest SPD-SLs will be fine, after all what's a few grams and a slightly lower bling factor?

2. Actually, I could get 105s for a little more.

3. Or Ultegras for a little more again...

4. Hey, DA pedals are only £80 on ebay!:laugh:

5. If I'm spending £80, what about Speedplays? Everyone says they're the dog's danglies...

So what do people think? If the reviews are to be believed then Speedplays are the ne plus ultra of pedaldom (?) and certainly on the US forums they are the pedal of choice. Apart from cost, are there any drawbacks?

Cheers,
Matthew

bonj2

the drawbacks are that the binding mechanism is in the cleat, not the pedal.
BUT this is only a disadvantage if you let the cleats get worn out - if you always put the cleat protectors on when you are walking off the bike then the rate at which they wear out is very slow - how slow exactly i dont' know - randochap will probably be along to tell you exactly how slow and to extoll their virtues generally, i've only had them for two years and mine haven't worn out yet.

The main benefit of them is that once you've got used to them they are VERY easy to clip into. I could never get the hang of spd-sl, i always seemed to manage to get it the wrong way round about 1 time in 4, requiring faffing about flipping it over, and could never really get used to it.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I use SPD-SL - got a pair iof scratched up Ultegras for a fiver.

Personally, I get on fine with them, although I didn't have an £80 budget when I got mine.

The big advantage I can see of speedplays is that they're double sided, which has to make the clip in easier. SPD-SL are ok if you give yourself time to get the knack though (imo). Maybe buying a 2nd hand set of SPD-SLs to see if you get on with them before taking the plunge might be a good option if you're seriously considering them.

OP
OP
MajorMantra

MajorMantra

bonj said:
The main benefit of them is that once you've got used to them they are VERY easy to clip into. I could never get the hang of spd-sl, i always seemed to manage to get it the wrong way round about 1 time in 4, requiring faffing about flipping it over, and could never really get used to it.

That's partly what drew me to them. I was thinking that 'traditional' road pedals would be a little like clips and straps when it came to clipping in, because of the need to flip them up as you clip in.

John the Monkey said:
I use SPD-SL - got a pair iof scratched up Ultegras for a fiver.

Personally, I get on fine with them, although I didn't have an £80 budget when I got mine.

I don't need to spend £80, but I could. Of course it might make sense to spend more on shoes and less on pedals - I could go mad trying to decide on the logic of this...:becool:

Matthew

honestal

I've got speedplay zeros on a couple of bikes. Top reasons they're good for me are (a) you can pedal round corners without any fear of the pedal whacking the floor with the attendant excitement that can cause (:bravo: they're double sided, so no faffing about trying to get them the right way up. Others more able than I will probably wax eloquent about no stack height and lots of other goodies. If you get em, spend the extra few pounds / bucks whatever on the covers, you'll not only not bugger up the cleats, but you'll save them getting full of crap (and therefore save yourself having to dig said crap out so often) and not end up on your backside if you're walking on a solid surface (let alone saving the poor solid surface)

Buy em :becool:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
MajorMantra said:
I don't need to spend £80, but I could. Of course it might make sense to spend more on shoes and less on pedals - I could go mad trying to decide on the logic of this...:bravo:
I'm not disparaging your choice at all, just saying you can get SPD-SL for cheap - if it's an option you're considering, you can try it out for not too much money. THEN plonk down the big cash for the pedal system you want.

One quick point on the SPD-SL pedals, as I recall you get more metal on the more expensive ones, hence more durability.

bonj2

yes - try the cheapest SPD-SL, if you can clip into them ok every time (and they have enough float for you) then it's probably not worth you spending the money on speedplays - as they're the main benefits.
but if you ever fail to flip them over and don't think you're going to master it, then get speedplays.
You can possibly pick them up second hand off someone else who's tried them but doesn't like them, and you can possibly sell them to someone in the same boat you currently are if you don't like them.

montage

God Almighty
bonj said:
yes - try the cheapest SPD-SL, if you can clip into them ok every time (and they have enough float for you) then it's probably not worth you spending the money on speedplays - as they're the main benefits.
but if you ever fail to flip them over and don't think you're going to master it, then get speedplays.
You can possibly pick them up second hand off someone else who's tried them but doesn't like them, and you can possibly sell them to someone in the same boat you currently are if you don't like them.

On ebay there are some good "buy it nows" ..... 105SPD SL pedals with cleats for around £40

OP
OP
MajorMantra

MajorMantra

Hmmm, there's a certain logic to the approach you guys are suggesting. That said, I kind of want everything to be new and spiffy and perfect.:thumbsup: Silly I know, but this is the first time in my life I've had a new (i.e. not second hand) bike and I want it to be special. Argh, I can't decide.

Shoe-wise I'm thinking of Shimano R132s but haven't decided on those either yet. The RO86s look pretty good too but the lure of carbon is strong...

Matthew

Top Bottom