Spin Bike Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Katiebar

I have had my spin bike of just over a year it’s an old workhorse, heavy duty 20kg flywheel, chain driven and I’m looking to upgrade any suggestions? Also not sure if this is true on not can having a heavy flywheel make your legs a bit bigger? I want mind slimmer not bigger any advice on that too would be great ? 🙂

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Also not sure if this is true on not can having a heavy flywheel make your legs a bit bigger?
No

OP
OP
K

Katiebar

Thank you , so should I stick with the 20kg flywheel and my legs won’t get bigger anyway ? Also am I better with belt driven magnetic resistance or friction resistance ? Thanks

OP
OP
K

Katiebar

Thank you , so should I stick with the 20kg flywheel and my legs won’t get bigger anyway ? Also am I better with belt driven magnetic resistance or friction resistance ? Thanks

johnblack

Über Member
If you can afford a mag get one, friction leaves you having to change the pads regularly (depending on useage), if you can, also get belt drive, it's smoother than chain. Mine has a 22k fly wheel and as it is heavy but I find it far better than lighter wheels.

I use mine through out the winter, do a mix of spin sessions but mainly intervals, not quite like a turbo, but I find it far more versatile, plus I don't zwift or ride with power outdoors so don't really need it indoors. You soon get a judgement on the kind of levels you're riding at ie 6,7,8 out of 10. As it is mag and there is no wear, the levels are constant so you know when you turn the dial 3 times it will be the same as it was last week or last month.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
We use these, Super quiet as they use a belt drive, they do cheaper one's all belt drive, Nice bit of kit, we added cadence and speed sensors to track what we do.
https://www.jtxfitness.com/jtx-cycl...m_source=Affiliate_Window&utm_campaign=681383
I really like JTX Fitnesses - I have one of their cross trainers and one of their treadmills too. They are good solid equipment and their customer service is second to none. But when it came to training bikes their friction bikes didn’t provide the level of performance monitoring that I was looking for. In the end I went with a Wattbike Atom which not only tracks your performance, but also measures your technique and helps to achieve more for the same effort. It’s quite expensive I know, but I really love this bit of kit.
25F4488E-20E2-43FC-8501-03B9ECAFDDF4.jpeg

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I really like JTX Fitnesses - I have one of their cross trainers and one of their treadmills too. They are good solid equipment and their customer service is second to none. But when it came to training bikes their friction bikes didn’t provide the level of performance monitoring that I was looking for. In the end I went with a Wattbike Atom which not only tracks your performance, but also measures your technique and helps to achieve more for the same effort. It’s quite expensive I know, but I really love this bit of kit.
View attachment 581913
Bit over the top for my sort of riding, But nice.

Reactions: JtB
Top Bottom