Spinning pedals!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rimp

Regular
A real newbie question this!

After 25 years of not being in the saddle, Ive taken the plunge and bought a new road bike. I have been out on it twice and manageed a 9 mile and 13 ride which I am reasonably happy with at this stage.

I didn't know which pedals to buy at the outset so I bought some Shimanos that have a flat pedal on one side and a clip in pedal on the other (just in case I ever got brave enough). I bought some half toe clips to use on the flat pedals for the time being.

My question is, is it possible to somehow adjust the pedals so they dont sping round? As I have toe clips, the pedals always spin round so the clips are underneath when I take my foot off the pedals (at junctions etc). There are a few dodgy junctions around me here so I have to "go for it" when I get the chance. It can get a bit hairy when I have to faff around getting my pedals the right way up before I can launch myself off!

Also, on adifferent note, is it possible to move the saddle backwards as I noticed I was hanging off the back of it a bit- could just be my oversized arris of course.

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
You may be able to tighten the cones attched to the pedal axle (depending on the model of pedal you have) - this would reduce the spinning, though obviously the pedals need to turn, or else you couldn't ride the bike ^_^. However, tightening them up will mean more effort (slightly, or a lot depending on how tight you do them up) is required to turn the cranks (as the pedal resistence will be greater).

Find out what model/brand they are.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
No you can't really affect where the pedal sits, and I wouldn't go round tightening up the cones either - you'll bork the bearings and be buying a new set of pedals quite soon.

You can move the saddle back - depends if it's a cheap post and saddle (like fitted to £99 bikes) - most decent saddles/posts can be adjusted.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Don't worry about clipping in for the first revolution clip in on the second, the toeclip may hit the ground, but don't worry about it.
You would be better to go clipless, best move I ever did even on my MTB

I agree that riding clipless is not as scary as novices might think. Do try it, but make sure that the spring tension is backed off so that it becomes as easy as possible to release from the pedal. Even when the spring is loose, the pedal still provides excellent location for your feet. Toe clips, as you have discovered, are a bit of a nuisance - if clipless was not significantly better, it would not be in such universal usage.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
should be an allen key under saddle slacken off and saddle should move back on rails , dont forget to tighten allen key once angle re set

Top Bottom