spinning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

It's a new thread methinks... but I guess I'd be a CBR125... delusions of grandeur!

yello

All Hondas are gay? You bet... excepting the VFR400R I had, that was more effeminate than guy.

I ride *adopts roughty toughty voice and butch pose* a Yamaha now.

jimboalee

"Doctor, when I break wind it sounds like a motorbike"
"Lets have a look" "Ah, you've got an abscess".

"An abscess?"

" Yes, Abscess make the fart go Honda......."

mr Mag00

rising member
to my mind grinding will produce much larger muscle mass and result in a completely different build as mentioned above lance and ulrich 2 different styles to different builds lean wiry lance and bulky muscle mass ulrich. the same can be said of many sports sprinters have muscle mass for explosive effort whilst distance runners have the endurance. weight training is a good example all round toning?! if there is such a thing i believe not, lightweight with many reps will produce light weight muscle mass if that makes sense where as pushing heavy weights with low rep, like grinding produces larger muscle mass.

jimboalee

OK, get this.

First visit to gym. Try each exercise 1 Rep Maximum. ( the heaviest weight you can lift only once ).

Next visit - two days later - 1 set of 8 to 12 reps at 75% of 1RM.

Subsequent visits - two days rest between - increase weight if you did 12 reps, stay at previous weight if you did less than 12.

That will be £35 each please. Cheques to Jimboalee.:o):biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Radius

SHREDDER
When I'm riding, I think of the gears on me bike like a car. I shift down till I peak in that gear, then shift up and up etc. Then, when I get to an incline and it gets harder, I shift down until it feels the same as when I was going on the flat. Obviously this is hypothetical and isn't perfectly accurate, but it's a starting point...

peanut

Fab Foodie said:
Err, maybe.
There's a sea-change in thought in this area. During Lance Armstrongs reign there was much talk of spinning, Lance vs Ulrich, spin vs grinding. The view has been recently that spinning a low gear wwas most effective and maximising your cardio systems performance.
All this talk of high cadence coincided with my joining a club, where my naturally low cadence was beaten out of me in favour of spinning. For 2 seasons I span like the rest of them worked hard and got nowhere. In the 3rd season I got pissed-off with spinning and reverted to my more natural lower cadence style and found I was going much better, particularly acceleration wise and I seemed to be working less hard to keep up. I assumed I was a freak or a crap cyclist.
However, there have been some reports in C+ lately and elsewhere suggesting recent research states that people are most efficient and effective if they pedal at a natural/comfortable rate and that high cadence for all is not necessarily the big benefit it was thought to be. This certainly ties in with my own experience which may not be unique.

My advice is to experiment and choose the style that suits you best.

agree 100% my experience as well.

There was an article recently that listed all the top riders that pushed big gears and used a low cadence which included Cav

Top Bottom