Spirometer Test – Lung Function Test

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
100ml is a very small difference. And cycling won't increase your lung capacity much. To increase it, best idea is to do physical activities that require you to control your breathing - swimming is a great example.

I did a huge bbq the day before with a lot of smoke. Also end of cold won’t have helped. There’s pollen, irritants in the air etc. It would be nice if asthmatics and welders got free chest scans to make sure though.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
I've always done slightly under average on those tests.

And pipe spmokers are very sexy people.

One of the downsides of stopping smoking is the knowledge I'll never get to be a pipe smoker.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
Smoke my pipe it’s ripe tonight, pipe smoke not to be inhaled though. Anyone sniffed smelling salts?

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
Occupational health showed up today. My Spiro test was 100ml under 18 months back. I’ve just got rid of a nasty cold. Might have been a form of Covid.
She was very concerned like I’m getting COPD or maybe my old asthma is back. Maybe it is the fumes?
My wife says those screening people scare people and don’t get accurate results. I’m getting PB’s on the bike and don’t have any wheezing. I think I’d notice 100ml difference. One time they said I had blood in my urine when I didn’t. I suppose I can get the GP to do a proper fair test. Probably worrying for nothing.

Sounds like you did a peak flow reading and not fully spirometry with reversibility?

Did you blow into one of these:
download (1).jpeg

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
Sounds like you did a peak flow reading and not fully spirometry with reversibility?

Did you blow into one of these:
View attachment 695762

No I didn’t. I have one of those somewhere. It was portable crap plugged into a lap top with no white tube in the plastic opening.

When FEV1 values make up less than 80% of the FVC, an obstructive lung disease is likely present. However, in restrictive lung diseases, both the FEV1 and FVC measurements decrease proportionally. So it’s my understanding it’s possible my airways were closed due to something irritating them (cold, pollen, fumes) and can be re-opened with Bronchialators rather than it’s permanent damage.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
It’s probably the FEV1 value being referred to, rather than FVC value

You are correct!!!

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
No I didn’t. I have one of those somewhere. It was portable crap plugged into a lap top with no white tube in the plastic opening.

When FEV1 values make up less than 80% of the FVC, an obstructive lung disease is likely present. However, in restrictive lung diseases, both the FEV1 and FVC measurements decrease proportionally. So it’s my understanding it’s possible my airways were closed due to something irritating them (cold, pollen, fumes) and can be re-opened with Bronchialators rather than it’s permanent damage.

Very good occ health cover!

Top Bottom