Splitting Campag chains

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Need some advice here. Im confused.....

I've a 10 speed campag chain. Do i REALLY need a special campag spliiter tool to push out and extract the pin? What is so special about campag chains here? Are there any cheap third party solutions?

Thanks

slow down

Should be able to split it with any chain tool, and then use a KMC link to rejoin

OP
OP
Tollers

Tollers

Guru
OK. I think i've found the answer to my own question although i really can't quite believe it.

My reason for asking about this is i was considering adding a connex link to make the chain easily splittable. My new understanding is:

If you split a campag 10 speed chain. The pin is effectively scrap
To rejoin a broken chain, you have to remove an "ultra" 10 link section and buy a new one for £15!

So....to achieve fit an "easy split" link. I'd have to remove and scrap the 10 "ultra" links, remove an extra normal link from main chain, fit the connex link to main chain in place of that last link, then fit a new "ultra" link section to join them up.

I'm still not sure if i need a £90 campag tool to do this too :welcome:

If i'm right, i guess the practical solution is just to clean the chain whilst on the bike and then when replacement comes, avoid buying a campag chain!

How can it be so complex/expensive? Am i missing something here?

Thanks

Tollers

OP
OP
Tollers

Tollers

Guru
Ahhh......slowdown......that makes sense. I think i might be overcomplicating things. So i guess i'd need to remove one whole link (i.e 2 pins) to fit a connex/kmc? And as im throwing those pins out anyway, then the splitter tool becomes less important.

OP
OP
Tollers

Tollers

Guru
Thanks so much Slow Down. Thats cleared things up for me :smile: .....and saved me some cash! :biggrin:

Conclusions:

1) You only need a normal chainsplitter to fit a quicklink thingy
2) Don't buy campag chains

02GF74

Über Member
Tollers said:
How can it be so complex/expensive? Am i missing something here?

It's a mystery.

Just like why is an 8 speed chain less expensive than a 9 speed? They are idnetical butthe 8 speed has nore metal so shoul in theory cost a little bit more.:sad:

Top Bottom