Spoke Tension

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Is there any way to know if your spokes are tensioned correctly.Just had two replaced in the back wheel so currently the wheel is set up by the bike mechanic there who seems to be very thorough.

Inevitably they must slacken or stretch a bit over time ,how will I know?

numbnuts

Legendary Member
you can buy one of these or do it by sound

PpPete

Legendary Member
Go round the wheel plucking (like guitar string) every spoke on the drive side. Should all have a clear ringing sound - and all be quite similar note.

Then same on other side. Note will be lower, but again they all should be similar to each other.

So long as the wheel remains reasonably true and the tensions (on each side) are reasonably even then you have nothing to worry about.

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Thanks for the replies.The spoke gauge would be nice but at 50 odd quid I think the guitar strumming method will have to do.

I think I will run my fingers around other peoples spokes to get a feel of whats normal.Have to be carefull though some of them would prefer you ran your fingers over their wifes/husbands than touched their bike. :-)

Banjo said:
Thanks for the replies.The spoke gauge would be nice but at 50 odd quid I think the guitar strumming method will have to do.

I think I will run my fingers around other peoples spokes to get a feel of whats normal.Have to be carefull though some of them would prefer you ran your fingers over their wifes/husbands than touched their bike. :-)

You have to be very careful - the correct tension on one rim might be over the top on another.

Top Bottom