Spokes advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Daddybus

Über Member
D'evenin all... I've got a 26 x 13/8" dynohub front wheel that I want to put into a 26 x 11/4" rim. Question is can I re-use the spokes? I know there is a 7mm? overall difference in wheel DIAMETER but would there enough tolerance in the radius length- I suspect probably no but has anyone tried?

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
If the rims ERD are very similar then you have a very good chance that you can re-use the spokes. Why don't you find out the new rim ERD, measure the hub dimensions and enter the data on a spoke length calculator.

e-rider

crappy member
D'evenin all... I've got a 26 x 13/8" dynohub front wheel that I want to put into a 26 x 11/4" rim. Question is can I re-use the spokes? I know there is a 7mm? overall difference in wheel DIAMETER but would there enough tolerance in the radius length- I suspect probably no but has anyone tried?
you need new spokes

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
You need to measure the rims (I don't recommend relying on ERD databases). Many people, including myself, have made an ERD measurement tool using two spokes, two nipples, and a steel rule. For maximum accuracy, cut the spokes and file the ends square, rather than trying to measure between two spoke ends. For even greater accuracy, measure every pair of spoke holes and average the measurements (rims are rarely perfectly round).

See link for ERD measurement.
https://leonard.io/edd/howtomeasure

You will need new spokes for two reasons. 1) They will be the wrong length for the new configuration. 2) If you do a spoke swap you have to make very sure that each spoke is in exactly the right L/R orientation as before otherwise you risk premature breakage.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
By the way, you may find different spoke length calculators give slightly different results. This doesn't mean they are wrong, it just means they are based on slightly different assumptions or that ERD has been defined slightly differently.

My favourite is spocalc.xls by Damon Rinard, not least because it is Excel based, so you can save calcs for later reference. Be aware that Sapim's online spoke length calculator has slightly different convention for defining ERD, so avoid unless you understand the difference.

OP
OP
Daddybus

Daddybus

Über Member
So if the general consensus is that its not possible to use the old ones...to avoid all the maths... !!! Could I just remove the old ones, measure, add 3.5mm for the extra radius, then order the closest available to?

Top Bottom